Remote play

overboost08

Hi all, so I have a question and or recommendation if anyone has a better solution to this. I have a gaming pc upstairs in my house that I want to be able to stream to the living room tv, I have a chromecast with Google tv and was going to download steam link and get a powered usb hub so I can pair my mouse, keyboard and wireless headset. Would this be the best way to go about this or is there a better solution? Thanks

1 hour ago, overboost08 said:

Hi all, so I have a question and or recommendation if anyone has a better solution to this. I have a gaming pc upstairs in my house that I want to be able to stream to the living room tv, I have a chromecast with Google tv and was going to download steam link and get a powered usb hub so I can pair my mouse, keyboard and wireless headset. Would this be the best way to go about this or is there a better solution? Thanks

What Rez is the living room tv, and what Rez can you output at?  

As long as you are on the same LAN there are a bunch of solutions. VNC for Linux/Mac/pc, RDP for PC, and screen sharing for mac.  things quickly get complicated if you want to stream your home PC to your phone while you’re at the coffee shop and suddenly get a wild hair that you want to check something.  This was happening to me often enough that I got a pikvm (bliKVMHAT) to shoot that particular problem in the face.  It can even start your pc and manipulate the keyboard if it’s  shut off.  If it crashes you can even usually fix it.  You don’t have to prep anything before you leave.  The computer doesn’t know you’re not sitting in front of it.   It’s got hardcore video limitations though.  Trying to game on it with something other than, say, Stardew valley is an excrecize in frustration.  What it CAN do though is it can be used to set up the stuff FOR steamlink or whatever.  I learned about the thing because I ran into a video called “hey dude, I put a computer in my computer”

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4k basically everywhere, the main pc has 13600k, 32gb ddr5 ram and an rtx 3070. I've never attempted to stream to an android device like this so I was mainly wondering if the chromecast can accept that many devices at once for remote play, it wouldn't be used alot like this just occasionally loading up steam or maybe epic or such. I could build another pc just for the living room but I'd rather not and had jumbled the idea of a steamlink or nvidia shield pro instead of another pc. Never done this without another pc to accept devices and such and don't really know whats out there besides the aforementioned. Thanks 

1 hour ago, overboost08 said:

4k basically everywhere, the main pc has 13600k, 32gb ddr5 ram and an rtx 3070. I've never attempted to stream to an android device like this so I was mainly wondering if the chromecast can accept that many devices at once for remote play, it wouldn't be used alot like this just occasionally loading up steam or maybe epic or such. I could build another pc just for the living room but I'd rather not and had jumbled the idea of a steamlink or nvidia shield pro instead of another pc. Never done this without another pc to accept devices and such and don't really know whats out there besides the aforementioned. Thanks 

One worry about this one is will the Bluetooth reach?  It’s got a really short range. I’ve never heard of a Bluetooth repeater but there’s a lot of things I’ve never heard of.  One of the handy things about 4k is it does 1080p really well. (1 pixel is 4 pixels)  You could set the living room tv for 1080p and steam at that.  Might not even notice the Rez reduction depending on the game.  As long as the tv and the computer are on the same LAN it will be golden.  If the Bluetooth doesn’t reach you could get an app and RDP or VNC from your phone which would be another Bluetooth source.  Lag though.  It might make it evil.  You’d connect stuff to the phone instead of the upstairs computer.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.