Raid 10 recovery?

Ok long story short

swapped cases, numbered my drives and sata cables. Boop everything works fine, except a missing drive on my array. Apparently that’s “critical” for raid10 on 8 drives…?

x570 whatever. So I did the routine, check sata, power and all. Nope, drives gone. Whatever

a few days later now I got trouble, my Z drive is gone. Pull up bios immediately and of course 3 of 8 are showing.
Fudge

at this point I’m using hiren to DD each drive individually to my server, via a usb3 adapter. They’re all 2.5 so power isn’t a concern

any suggested next steps or, do this instead?  It’s 300g on the first drive and still 3 hours to go if not more - but it is using the network gig connection, 50ish/mbps

Are you trying to run hardware raid by any chance?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, Bombastinator said:

Are you trying to run hardware raid by any chance?

It is under hardware raid, not software like windows storage spaces or anything like that. Setup thru the bios on my crosshair 8 mobo. Of course I needed to install said raid drivers for Windows to recognize “it” rather than “them” initially

at this point I’m using aeomi (spelling) to “back up” the drive(s) to my server as the pc don’t have 8tb of free space for, 8x 1tb drives. 3rd one is copying now

so yeah… any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping I can rebuild the raid with some kind of software on hiren’s windows PE, but I’m not quite sure if I’m using the correct software to clone/backup the disc’s as hiren won’t let me see the file extension it creates (file explorer won’t even let me browse my servers shared files, but within an application I pop in the IP and it has zero issue)