New SSD disappearing from file explorer and disk management

Akakazz
Go to solution Solved by MonkeyBomb,

That is some odd behavior.  Does sound like a hardware issue with the drive.

I would first try a different cable, different power cable and a different sata port.  If it still does that I'd RMA it.

Reposting because I got no response on the last one I made. 

I've been having this weird issue recently with a new WD blue internal 1TB SSD. For some reason at seemingly random intervals the SSD will stop showing in both file explorer and disk management. the past couple of days I've just been completing a power cycle and it'll show back up and work fine for either a few minutes or a couple hours and then out of nowhere it disappears. However this last time it stopped showing up I went back to disk management to see that it was still being registered but only as around a 250gb drive that needs to be formatted. At this point I was fed up with dealing with the issue and so i decided to format it again as a 250gb drive. Formatting worked fine and it showed up in disk management for maybe 10 minutes before randomly swapping back to a 1TB SSD that needed a partition set. So i made a new partition for the drive, it showed back up in file explorer and wiped everything I had on it prior, which isn't a big deal it was only a couple of games. As I'm typing this I'm reinstalling whatever I had on the drive before this and the downloads are randomly pausing which is weird considering something like this has never happened on any of my other drives. And again, as I was finishing up typing typing this the install stopped, the SSD disappeared and I received a popup stating that I need to format the disk before I use it, Ill include a picture of what it looks like in disk management. 

Another issue that I was having is I would be running a game, the SSD would spike to 100% active time and freeze whatever I was running for a minute-ish. I checked all the connections and they seem secure. I don't know if the SSD just arrived broken, or the sata cable isn't working properly or if its loosing power I just genuinely don't know what the issue is. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF Processor

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X - USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

Memory: 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3000

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6

Power Supply: 800 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Gold

Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System

Primary Storage: - 512 GB Intel 660P Series M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Secondary Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. F9, 10/15/2019

disk.PNG

image_2022-11-16_144954564.png

That is some odd behavior.  Does sound like a hardware issue with the drive.

I would first try a different cable, different power cable and a different sata port.  If it still does that I'd RMA it.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

Is MB setup in BIOS to turn off SATA ports to save power ??? How about windows ?

First I would swap ports, test for the same, backup your data ASAP.

Otherwise RMA, sure.

I've tried different sata ports and checked my bios, doesn't seem like its an issue there. Ill definitely RMA it. Good to know that its likely not an issue on my end.