mini dp

9epik
Go to solution Solved by 9epik,

no the monitor just had to take about 10 minutes until it showed the boot screen

Recently I broke my stock iMac mid 2010 monitor so I bought a mini dp cable to hdmi so I can plug in another monitor. I plugged it in to my tv to test and it worked as soon as I booted windows, the tv stopped outputting video.

And I use windows as my daily driver so help.

I may not be understanding this but the impression I am getting is:

1) you’ve got something (probably a monitor) that used to be connected to an old iMac, but you want to now instead connect it to a pc and have bought a new cable for the purpose.

2) another interpretation would be that the PC is not a PC but that broken screened iMac and you want to use the new monitor as the primary monitor.

In either case The questions I have is what are you connecting and what is going wrong?  I take it it didn’t just work.  

re: 2: Is your machine set up for mirroring?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 month later...

no the monitor just had to take about 10 minutes until it showed the boot screen

3 hours ago, 9epik said:

A machine taking 10 minutes to boot the first time because of such things as memory training is not unheard of.  If it’s doing it every time though there is something wrong.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.