Question about z97 (may be a noob one, you have been warned)

Go to solution Solved by Izaya Orihara,

So I could buy a 4670k and a Z97 board and that'll work just fine?

Yes. 

Well, Newegg has Z97 boards in stock, for example, this Z97 MPOWER says "MSI POWER LGA 1150"

Does that mean it'll be backwards compatible with Haswell? Sorry, haven't been keeping up with all the Z97 info lately :P

Thanks in advance!

yes its comparable im planing to switch my set up soon and grab a z97 sabertooth and drop my 4670k in there 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Haswell is lga 1150: z97 is compatible with Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devils Canyon and Broadwell. 

Haswell is lga 1150: z97 is compatible with Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devils Canyon and Broadwell. 

wait.. if haswell will fit in the new z97 board.. will it fit in old z87? or is that a stupid question? :P

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

Yeah, I know that haswell is LGA 1150 lol, but I read somewhere that it wouldn't be backwards compatible with Haswell. I might be wrong, but it would be awesome if they are backwards compatible  :lol:

wait.. if haswell will fit in the new z97 board.. will it fit in old z87? or is that a stupid question? :P

Haswell obviously :P I think Haswell Refresh and Devils Canyon will but don't quote me on that. However Broadwell will not fit in a z87 motherboard. 

Haswell obviously :P I think Haswell Refresh and Devils Canyon will but don't quote me on that. However Broadwell will not fit in a z87 motherboard. 

z97 and z87 have the exactly same socket lga 1150

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Yes. 

z97 and z87 have the exactly same socket lga 1150

There is a thing called electrical incompatibility. 

Quite a few of these threads

would be nice if Linus covered these boards and the Haswell refresh in a WAN show got kind of brushed over when they were announced due to lack of time;

haswell refresh should fit yes, its only better TIM, 100mhz and stepping ( probably )

devils canyon, whats that, its pentium?

i just re-read that and i made no sense at all... oops :P

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log