Motherboard Auto-Overclocking to 100C

I'm using an ASUS ROG Strix B660-A WIFI D4 motherboard (with the latest drivers, version 2015) with G.Skill ddr4 3600mhz ram and an i5 13600k, and whenever I run any cpu benchmark (prime98 and cinebench), my cpu temps spike instantly to 100c and stay there. The voltage goes up to 1.4 and I have huge power draw, up to 250w. Here are some logs from HWI when i was running both prime98 and furmark (use last 12 mins).

Not sure how to disable this overclocking and how to set a power/voltage limit.

log_start.csv

Your CPU is probably Turbo Boosting, which draws more power and produces more heat to increase performance as it's put under more demanding load.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, HomeOfLily said:

I'm using an ASUS ROG Strix B660-A WIFI D4 motherboard (with the latest drivers, version 2015) with G.Skill ddr4 3600mhz ram and an i5 13600k, and whenever I run any cpu benchmark (prime98 and cinebench), my cpu temps spike instantly to 100c and stay there. The voltage goes up to 1.4 and I have huge power draw, up to 250w. Here are some logs from HWI when i was running both prime98 and furmark (use last 12 mins).

Not sure how to disable this overclocking and how to set a power/voltage limit.

log_start.csv 4.51 MB · 1 download

What CPU Cooler?  

You may need a better one, 

21 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What CPU Cooler?  

You may need a better one, 

I'm using the cooler master ml240l v2.

32 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Your CPU is probably Turbo Boosting, which draws more power and produces more heat to increase performance as it's put under more demanding load.

Is it normal to go to such high temps under turbo boosting? My temps and voltage spike under things like installing graphics drivers too, I've only used an AMD 7 1700x befpre this so I don't know what to expect with Intel.

Prime95 will stress your cpu in a way no practical application ever will, it’s normal to have your highest cpu temperature when running it.

That having been said, how is your cooler mount? Do you have proper thermal paste application? How is your case airflow and airflow setup?

Answers to those questions might illuminate some issues.

5 minutes ago, Echothedolpin said:

Prime95 will stress your cpu in a way no practical application ever will, it’s normal to have your highest cpu temperature when running it.

That having been said, how is your cooler mount? Do you have proper thermal paste application? How is your case airflow and airflow setup?

Answers to those questions might illuminate some issues.

The radiator and fans are front mount, intake, with two exhaust fans in the back. When I get home I'll take the cooler off and check application and re apply it. Cooler mount is all good.

25 minutes ago, HomeOfLily said:

Is it normal to go to such high temps under turbo boosting? My temps and voltage spike under things like installing graphics drivers too, I've only used an AMD 7 1700x befpre this so I don't know what to expect with Intel.

I have a Core i7-7820X under a Corsair H110i and it gets toasty doing a Cinebench R23 run.

Almost no CPU will shy away from 90-100C under sustained 100% load.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, HomeOfLily said:

I'm using the cooler master ml240l v2.

a 13600 may be a warm i5?  but it shouldn't be that hot under a 240mm AIO.

Remount with fresh paste?  Maybe try the replacement retention assembly?

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

a 13600 may be a warm i5?  but it shouldn't be that hot under a 240mm AIO.

Remount with fresh paste?  Maybe try the replacement retention assembly?

When I installed it, there was a backplace that 4 long bolts with screws on boths sides screwinto it, and then the cooler went on that with 4 nuts hplding it down. How far should I screw those nuts down? I don't want to push too hard on the cpu, or squeeze the thermal paste off, and the directions are barren.

2 minutes ago, HomeOfLily said:

When I installed it, there was a backplace that 4 long bolts with screws on boths sides screwinto it, and then the cooler went on that with 4 nuts hplding it down. How far should I screw those nuts down? I don't want to push too hard on the cpu, or squeeze the thermal paste off, and the directions are barren.

youtube it.  

And you do need a fair bit of pressure from the cooler onto the CPU to make it useful.

Undervolt it, at stock clocks mines at 1.15v underload and hits 72c in r23

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper