M.2 screw completely stuck

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Here's what I would do: remove the standoff, put in a vise (or pliers or vise grips), then use pliers (or vise grips) to grab just the screw head and twist them apart. You don't want to go ham on the things while they're in the motherboard, just in case you slip.

If they're that tight, there's a good chance the screw is cross-threaded. If that's the case and you can get it out, the screw's probably junk but the standoff might be salvageable if you can get a fresh screw in there.

You might just need a replacement standoff.

So I'm building a new pc and I'm using a gigabyte B550M DS3H board. 

I'm trying to instal the m.2 drive but whoever screwed the screw in at the factory had the strength of 10 men because I cannot get it to budge. Any ideas at all on getting this screw out would be welcome. 

PXL_20221126_133641289.jpg

PXL_20221126_133633937.jpg

Here's what I would do: remove the standoff, put in a vise (or pliers or vise grips), then use pliers (or vise grips) to grab just the screw head and twist them apart. You don't want to go ham on the things while they're in the motherboard, just in case you slip.

If they're that tight, there's a good chance the screw is cross-threaded. If that's the case and you can get it out, the screw's probably junk but the standoff might be salvageable if you can get a fresh screw in there.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Okay in that case what's the best practice in removing a standoff?

Just now, UntitledNoodle said:

Okay in that case what's the best practice in removing a standoff?

Pliers. Just be careful.

I'm assuming the screw is jammed in the standoff tighter than the standoff is threaded into the motherboard.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

16 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Pliers. Just be careful.

I'm assuming the screw is jammed in the standoff tighter than the standoff is threaded into the motherboard.

After using pliers and a pipe wrench we have victory thank you