First self build, any advice is appreciated

akshatr1997
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

1.  Not really important full tower or mid tower.  Could have a cheaper mid tower and put the different in some quality fans to create airflow within the case

2.  Connectors are not burning due to outside ambient temperature ... they fail like that when user doesn't connect them properly...the connectors have poor audio /visual feedback, they're not "clicking" like the other connectors do and often users don't push the connectors all the way. Or, the weight of the 3-4 cables from the connector pulls on the connector and pulls it out if the retention clip didn't click completely. If you insert it properly and don't bend it right at the connector (leave let's say 3-5 cm and then gently curve the cable ) then you should be fine. 

3. I wouldn't spend extra money on Intel with DDR5 .. the performance jump is not worth the extra money and the extra power consumption. 

4. For 5800x3d no, it's not needed. That cooler would be fine. IF you do get some AIO, go with something with 3 120 / 140 mm fans, not cheap 240mm.  AMD 7xxx processors and higher end Intel will need AIO to keep cool - those AMD processors go up to something like 230-250 watts if they're kept cool, Intel processors can go over 300 watts. The 5800x3d peaks somewhere around 150 watts, if my memory is correct.

5. Can't comment ... Zotac is generally fine, not aware of negative reviews or controversy about it.  Inno3d is less popular here in Europe, not distributed well, so can't comment about it. 

re build ... the 2 TB seagate doesn't belong there. Go with at least 4 TB NAS grade drive and preferrably one that's CMR  - Seagate IronWolf,  WD Red Plus (red without plus is SMR etc..

Rather than 1 TB nvme + 2 TB seagate, you may be better off going with a 2 TB nvme drive, and you can go with pci-e 3.0 nvme drive , you wouldn't notice difference between 3.5 GB/s read speeds and 5-7 GB/s read speeds.

For example Samsung 970 Evo Plus is $158 ,,, would be fine replacement for the pair : https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S2T0B/dp/B07MFZXR1B/

WD Black 2 TB is pci-e 4.0 (around 5.5 GB/s read speeds) and it's $150 now, black friday deal: https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN770-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B09QV5KJHV/

WD Blue 2 TB is pci-e 3.0 (up to around 3.5 GB/s read speeds) and it's 135$ : https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN570-Internal-Solid/dp/B09JM8DJNS/

Budget (including currency): 400000 INR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I have a C2 OLED (for my PS5), so I want a 4K 60+ fps capable rig for most AAA games. I like single player games, not into competitive gaming. I don't have any productivity related workload.

Other details 

I have made the following rudimentary list:

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X3D
Cooler Noctua NH-D15S Chromax Black
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX (8*2) GB CL18 DDR4 3600
Hardisk Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DM008
SSD Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe with Heatsink
GPU AMD RX 7900 XTX/4080/4090
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply Corsair HX1200 1200 Watt 80 Plus Platinum

Following are some of the major concerns or doubts I have:

1.) I live in India, so ambient temperature can reach 40 deg C. Hence I have chosen a full tower, instead of mid tower.

2.) How serious is the 4090 connectors burning issue, considering already high ambient here?

3.) Should I be going for an intel build with DDR5 memory, can it provide future (next 2 or 3 years) benefits in gaming?

4.) Do I need an AIO instead of tower cooler for the curernt build?

5.) For GPUs, how are the Ztoc and Inno3d versions, since they are not covered by most reviewers online?

Thanks in advance

1.  Not really important full tower or mid tower.  Could have a cheaper mid tower and put the different in some quality fans to create airflow within the case

2.  Connectors are not burning due to outside ambient temperature ... they fail like that when user doesn't connect them properly...the connectors have poor audio /visual feedback, they're not "clicking" like the other connectors do and often users don't push the connectors all the way. Or, the weight of the 3-4 cables from the connector pulls on the connector and pulls it out if the retention clip didn't click completely. If you insert it properly and don't bend it right at the connector (leave let's say 3-5 cm and then gently curve the cable ) then you should be fine. 

3. I wouldn't spend extra money on Intel with DDR5 .. the performance jump is not worth the extra money and the extra power consumption. 

4. For 5800x3d no, it's not needed. That cooler would be fine. IF you do get some AIO, go with something with 3 120 / 140 mm fans, not cheap 240mm.  AMD 7xxx processors and higher end Intel will need AIO to keep cool - those AMD processors go up to something like 230-250 watts if they're kept cool, Intel processors can go over 300 watts. The 5800x3d peaks somewhere around 150 watts, if my memory is correct.

5. Can't comment ... Zotac is generally fine, not aware of negative reviews or controversy about it.  Inno3d is less popular here in Europe, not distributed well, so can't comment about it. 

re build ... the 2 TB seagate doesn't belong there. Go with at least 4 TB NAS grade drive and preferrably one that's CMR  - Seagate IronWolf,  WD Red Plus (red without plus is SMR etc..

Rather than 1 TB nvme + 2 TB seagate, you may be better off going with a 2 TB nvme drive, and you can go with pci-e 3.0 nvme drive , you wouldn't notice difference between 3.5 GB/s read speeds and 5-7 GB/s read speeds.

For example Samsung 970 Evo Plus is $158 ,,, would be fine replacement for the pair : https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S2T0B/dp/B07MFZXR1B/

WD Black 2 TB is pci-e 4.0 (around 5.5 GB/s read speeds) and it's $150 now, black friday deal: https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN770-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B09QV5KJHV/

WD Blue 2 TB is pci-e 3.0 (up to around 3.5 GB/s read speeds) and it's 135$ : https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN570-Internal-Solid/dp/B09JM8DJNS/

40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Ohk. Will research about the NAS storage and check about the SSDs you have mentioned.

Just now, akshatr1997 said:

Ohk. Will research about the NAS storage and check about the SSDs you have mentioned.

Just to be super clear: I didn't mean NAS storage as in separate machine with storage.  I just meant to buy  "NAS grade drives" .. some series are advertised for NAS purpose. 

NAS drives in theory should be a bit better than regular desktop drives, because they're supposed to run 24/7 and often in small NAS boxes where they're close together so they have to be a bit more resilient to vibrations and potentially higher temperatures. 

They're also often made using the classic CMR technology, while the cheap desktop ones use SMR where the data is written in tracks that overlap, so each time the drive has to overwrite something, the drive has to read the previous tracks and the original data , make the modifications, and then write all the tracks back to the drive - this means overwriting things is slower, so you get lower performance. 

WD has a list on their website that says which are CMR and which are SMR, but other than WD Red Plus which is explicitly CMR, last time I checked all the 8 TB and higher drives were CMR drives. 

There's also series "optimized" for audio video or surveillance (wd purple for example) - in theory these are optimized for continuous writes, and multiple writes at lowish speeds in parallel  - like imagine having 16 security cameras each giving you 1-2 MB/s, the drives' firmware is optimized to dump that 16 x 1-2 MB/s as fast as possible on the drive and reply all's written...  but the optimizations are to the downside of maximum read speed and write speeds - such series are often slower at single transfers. 

Those cheap drives for example Seagate Compute,  WD Green ... generally are SMR, slow at writing stuff on them, and also have low warranties (like... 2-3 years) ... it's not worth the money, the price per GB is too much. 

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Just to be super clear: I didn't mean NAS storage as in separate machine with storage.  I just meant to buy  "NAS grade drives" .. some series are advertised for NAS purpose. 

NAS drives in theory should be a bit better than regular desktop drives, because they're supposed to run 24/7 and often in small NAS boxes where they're close together so they have to be a bit more resilient to vibrations and potentially higher temperatures. 

They're also often made using the classic CMR technology, while the cheap desktop ones use SMR where the data is written in tracks that overlap, so each time the drive has to overwrite something, the drive has to read the previous tracks and the original data , make the modifications, and then write all the tracks back to the drive - this means overwriting things is slower, so you get lower performance. 

WD has a list on their website that says which are CMR and which are SMR, but other than WD Red Plus which is explicitly CMR, last time I checked all the 8 TB and higher drives were CMR drives. 

There's also series "optimized" for audio video or surveillance (wd purple for example) - in theory these are optimized for continuous writes, and multiple writes at lowish speeds in parallel  - like imagine having 16 security cameras each giving you 1-2 MB/s, the drives' firmware is optimized to dump that 16 x 1-2 MB/s as fast as possible on the drive and reply all's written...  but the optimizations are to the downside of maximum read speed and write speeds - such series are often slower at single transfers. 

Those cheap drives for example Seagate Compute,  WD Green ... generally are SMR, slow at writing stuff on them, and also have low warranties (like... 2-3 years) ... it's not worth the money, the price per GB is too much. 

The reason I went with PCIe 4.0 was just in case Direct Storage does come into play, then they would become viable. Is that type of future-proofing a bit pointless?