Need help with Liquid for custom loop

Kratos

Hi,

I've been told that distilled water is not enough for a custom loop, that I need some antigrowth & antibacteria.

I'm really lost at this, can someone explain? For example, would I damage my parts if distilled water with antigrowth & antibacteria leaks?

Also, is there any liquid that comes with everything out of the box?

My choices so far were the Corsair XL5 clear or the EKWB Cryofuel Clear premix 1000 ml but I've got no idea about this so I'm ready to hear some recommendations.

Thank you!

The anti stuff wont damage parts if there was a leak. But older ionized water could cause more issues than anything.
All the premade stuff gives you all the protection you need if used correctly. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Ok thank you! That was a relief since I will only be using premade stuff to be sure.

The premade ones I listed come with anti stuff? Just to know if I have to purchase them separately

Thanks.

Also, i've been told I have to flush new radiators is that true?

53 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Ok thank you! That was a relief since I will only be using premade stuff to be sure.

The premade ones I listed come with anti stuff? Just to know if I have to purchase them separately

Thanks.

Also, i've been told I have to flush new radiators is that true?

Yes, all premixes are ready to run as is.
You should be flushing everything. But radiators tend to have the most stuff in them.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Distilled water purely on it's own can only last for so long.

You still need to add some sort of anti-growth / anti-inhibitor into it.

It's what I use; and if I want to change the color of it, I just add a couple of dye drops.

The pre-mix stuff....basically just had the anti-growth / anti-inhibitor already mixed into it, and ready to use from the bottle -- that's about it really.

What I do is distilled water

+ Anti-inhibitor concentrate -- https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-clear-concentrate-100ml

+ Dye pack -- https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-dye-pack

Regardless if you are using pre-mix or mixing it yourself with the concentrates, you should be draining / maintaining / servicing your loop at least ONCE a year.

For me, I do it every ~6 months to keep the gunk build-up in the CPU/GPU blocks, in the radiators, along the tube walls, to a minimum.

Yes, flush the radiators with regular tap water, 50/50 white vinegar + water, or with distilled water.

Then do a 1 or 2 final flush with pure distilled water, especially if you are using a vinegar mix, as (pure) vinegar is corrosive to nickel-plating.

There is always some bits of metal and debris from the manufacturing / assembly, especially in the radiators.

What I do:

• 50/50 vinegar + distilled water mixture
  • Flush the radiator, CPU/GPU blocks, reservoir / pump combo, tubing I'm going to use....do that 2x or 3x.
  • Use a soft toothbrush to clean the GPU / GPU blocks if they a gunk in them
  • Do 2x or 3x rinse using pure distilled water

At least for me, I can buy a big 4L (~135 oz) jug of distilled water for like...maybe $5 max. 

That will give me enough to do the clean and fill the loop up, with a bit left over.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

16 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Distilled water purely on it's own can only last for so long.

You still need to add some sort of anti-growth / anti-inhibitor into it.

It's what I use; and if I want to change the color of it, I just add a couple of dye drops.

The pre-mix stuff....basically just had the anti-growth / anti-inhibitor already mixed into it, and ready to use from the bottle -- that's about it really.

What I do is distilled water

+ Anti-inhibitor concentrate -- https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-clear-concentrate-100ml

+ Dye pack -- https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-dye-pack

Regardless if you are using pre-mix or mixing it yourself with the concentrates, you should be draining / maintaining / servicing your loop at least ONCE a year.

For me, I do it every ~6 months to keep the gunk build-up in the CPU/GPU blocks, in the radiators, along the tube walls, to a minimum.

Yes, flush the radiators with regular tap water, 50/50 white vinegar + water, or with distilled water.

Then do a 1 or 2 final flush with pure distilled water, especially if you are using a vinegar mix, as (pure) vinegar is corrosive to nickel-plating.

There is always some bits of metal and debris from the manufacturing / assembly, especially in the radiators.

What I do:

• 50/50 vinegar + distilled water mixture
  • Flush the radiator, CPU/GPU blocks, reservoir / pump combo, tubing I'm going to use....do that 2x or 3x.
  • Use a soft toothbrush to clean the GPU / GPU blocks if they a gunk in them
  • Do 2x or 3x rinse using pure distilled water

At least for me, I can buy a big 4L (~135 oz) jug of distilled water for like...maybe $5 max. 

That will give me enough to do the clean and fill the loop up, with a bit left over.

I will do a flush with distilled water, since it's cheaper and its going to literally go to waste xD

Between the EKWB Premix and the Corsair one, which one do you recommend? Is it ok if I mix them? I was going to buy one of each in case there's any severe leaks and I have to fill most of it again.

12 hours ago, Kratos said:

I will do a flush with distilled water, since it's cheaper and its going to literally go to waste xD

Between the EKWB Premix and the Corsair one, which one do you recommend? Is it ok if I mix them? I was going to buy one of each in case there's any severe leaks and I have to fill most of it again.

I personally haven't tried the Corsair stuff; I've only stuck with EKwb concentrates / premixes.

From what I read, either is fine...however, I probably wouldn't mix them.

Use one at a time.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

So far I've tried:

• Distilled with 2 drops of Mayhem's Biocide + 5 drops inhibitor.
  • Premix EK Cryofuel Laguna Yellow opaque
  • EK Cryofuel Laguna Yellow concentrate in distilled with biocide + inhibitor

All have been absolutely fine, zero issues over 1 year/10 months/a few weeks so far. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop