Stable overclock stopped working

Hello linus tech

I think I already know the answer to this but I really don't want to be right.

I've been running my 8350 at 4.5 ghz with 1.45 volts pumping into it.

This overclock has been completely stable for months. Through video editing for hours, gaming for hours, recording for hours. It's never crashed on me.

About last week I was playing a game and all of a sudden I get a BSOD

I ignored it, rebooted and about an hour of playing the same game I got me another BSOD

So I put my overclock back to stock and it never happened again.

Yesterday I put in the same settings I had 4.5 ghz with 1.45 volts and load up a cpu intensive game (Guild Wars 2)

About 10 minutes in the computer just shuts off. No BSOD, just an all out loss of power. I allowed this to happen twice before taking the cpu back to stock

What I think I've done is degraded my CPU with the amount of voltage that's been running through it, and it just cant take the heat anymore.

Can someone either correct or confirm this?

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Degradation.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Overvolting will degrade the silicone, and it sounds like it has happened quite fast in your case. 

I would just go for a lower overclock, and try to keep the voltages low.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Yep. It is the risk of going too heavy with voltages. I degraded my GPU slightly before I noticed it and backed off of the OC(now I ususally run undervolted when I am not playing anything intensive).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Crap.

Well thanks for the confirmation @Osmium @Volbet @Askew

I guess I'll just see how high I can push it now.

I run my 3570k above stock clock and below stock voltage, that's what I do with a good chip rather than push it to the max, if I find I've got a good CPU I will use that to decrease the voltage as much as I can. :)

I run my 3570k above stock clock and below stock voltage, that's what I do with a good chip rather than push it to the max, if I find I've got a good CPU I will use that to decrease the voltage as much as I can. :)

Yeah but the extra performance you get when pushing it to the wall is pretty insane. Those 10 minutes I was able to play Guild Wars with the overclock the fps was so buttery smooth. At stock clocks it's not buttery smooth. (With settings maxed)

I plan on upgrading my CPU every cycle anyway, so If I only get a year out of it then I'm satisfied. 

Yeah but the extra performance you get when pushing it to the wall is pretty insane. Those 10 minutes I was able to play Guild Wars with the overclock the fps was so buttery smooth. At stock clocks it's not buttery smooth. (With settings maxed)

I plan on upgrading my CPU every cycle anyway, so If I only get a year out of it then I'm satisfied. 

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to say mine performs better for what I'm doing, but when I upgrade machine I'll be changing socket and I want to keep this PC running for several years as an HTPC/light gaming machine by my TV so I want to preserve the CPU as best I can. (I still have a little overclock, 4.2Ghz)

I will bring the new PC to my monitor/desk area and move this one across, probably won't build it for a year or so though.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to say mine performs better for what I'm doing, but when I upgrade machine I'll be changing socket and I want to keep this PC running for several years as an HTPC/light gaming machine by my TV so I want to preserve the CPU as best I can. (I still have a little overclock, 4.2Ghz)

I will bring the new PC to my monitor/desk area and move this one across, probably won't build it for a year or so though.

Yeah what you're doing is smart. A stock i5 is still a king in games. (even though 4.2 is a pretty hefty overclock)  ;)