disk drive

kenrock54

hey there i have a laptop that i bought from someone that for some reason even after doing a factory reset and updating all drives and windows i still can not seem to get the disk drive to drop down, even when i try to run something as simple as minecraft.

Just now, heimdali said:

It's usually a bad idea to drop a harddisc.

what do you mean?

2 minutes ago, kenrock54 said:

what do you mean?

If you drop a harddrive, chances are that it gets damaged.  So I wonder why you want to drop one.

9 minutes ago, heimdali said:

If you drop a harddrive, chances are that it gets damaged.  So I wonder why you want to drop one.

i may have said it wrong by that i mean when i pull up my task manager it says cpu, memory, than disk and on percentage on disk it shows 99 percent almost constant.

2 minutes ago, kenrock54 said:

i may have said it wrong by that i mean when i pull up my task manager it says cpu, memory, than disk and on percentage on disk it shows 99 percent almost constant.

What does it say its using the 99% for? Sounds like a broken drive, is it making a lot of noise?

Just now, Tomthehitman said:

What does it say its using the 99% for? Sounds like a broken drive, is it making a lot of noise?

not a ton tbh and i used base minecraft to test it, as soon as i open it up it takes 99 percent rarely drops below around 75

8 minutes ago, kenrock54 said:

not a ton tbh and i used base minecraft to test it, as soon as i open it up it takes 99 percent rarely drops below around 75

Okay so it's using that while you are in the game not idle on the pc?

9 minutes ago, kenrock54 said:

yes

Okay I am assuming a HDD not SSD, you should see some usage in games but not 99%, have you played for a little bit to see if it settles down after its loaded everything in? If not have you tried defragmenting it assuming its a HDD, if not its likley that it is just a old hard drive and it could be worth grabbing a cheap upgrade if possible.

Also might be worth testing it out on other games if you have any to try?

Maybe others have some better advice though.

1 minute ago, Tomthehitman said:

Okay I am assuming a HDD not SSD, you should see some usage in games but not 99%, have you played for a little bit to see if it settles down after its loaded everything in? If not have you tried defragmenting it assuming its a HDD, if not its likley that it is just a old hard drive and it could be worth grabbing a cheap upgrade if possible.

Also might be worth testing it out on other games if you have any to try?

Maybe others have some better advice though.

ill get moments when it drops down to like 75 but wont after and i tried a few others such as ark, cod, overwatch, and conan exiles and got the same results and when it does drop to 75 it runs back up not even after a few minutes.

Just now, kenrock54 said:

ill get moments when it drops down to like 75 but wont after and i tried a few others such as ark, cod, overwatch, and conan exiles and got the same results and when it does drop to 75 it runs back up not even after a few minutes.

and yes it is a hdd

8 hours ago, heimdali said:

It might be swapping a lot.

how would i get it to stop?