BSOD On brand new system - kernel security check failure

Morph54
Go to solution Solved by Gazereths,

Docp will enable the xmp profile of the ram, but if it's not enabled it should default to whatever the standard is on AM5. 

You could try manually lowering the speed or loosening up the timings to see if it helps. (Or give it a small voltage bump)

Do you bsod before getting to desktop or can you use Windows for a little while first? Just wondering what speed/cas the ram is running (check with CPUZ or similar program)

The 7700x has an iGpu correct? Tried removing the 3080 and using the mobo display out see if it makes any difference? 

could be a buggy bios as it's a new platform that still probably has teething problems. Any update available for your board?

Hello,

I recently built a new computer and have been getting  KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSOD as well as a few other BSOD errors (status access violation errors in chrome, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.) I've scoured about everywhere to locate a fix and all of them seem to point to updating drivers. Thing is, all the drivers are brand new and freshly installed on a fresh OS (Win 10 and 11 attempts.) Ran through chkdsk and sfc /scannow and returned no errors. Both Windows Memory Diagnostic tool as well as Memtest86+ returned no problems.

I read through the pinned BSOD walkthrough that is needed and below is the information requested using Method A as described.

Q: OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?

A: Attempted with both Windows 10 and Windows 11
Q: x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?

A: x64 system
Q: What OS was originally installed on the system?

A: As this was a new system I opted for Windows 11, however after several blue screens I rolled back to Windows 10 and eventually got the same BSOD errors.
Q: Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)?

A: Windows 11 was purchased from a retailer (Microcenter) and Windows 10 was purchased from Microsoft.
Q: Age of system (hardware)

A: Not bleeding edge but very up-to-date. See hardware specs below. Built system about 2 weeks ago
Q: Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?

A: Answer previously but for the sake of redundancy yes. Windows 11 was attempted 3 times while Windows 10 was attempted once.
Q: CPU model

A: AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
Q: Video Card model

A: MSI GeForce GTX 3080 Gaming Trio
Q: MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)

A: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI, BIOS ver.0809
Q: Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this)

A: Corsair RM750x
Q: System Manufacturer

A: ME 🙂
Q: Exact model number (if OEM or laptop)

A: No model number.
Q: Laptop or Desktop?

A: Desktop

Here are some other system spec's if they matter.

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB-6000 CL36

Corsair 5000x RGB

Corsair H150i AIO

6x Corsair LL120 Fan's

Samsung 980 pro 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0

Unfortunately I'm unable to get the perfmon /report as its taken close to 2 hours and it still says 60seconds, but here is the results from the Sysnative collection app. I appreciate any insight someone may offer! In the meantime I will continue to troubleshoot the perfmon report.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mcx41fg3o9rjxhu/SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip/file

Silly question, I battled some BSOD and memory instability issues on a build a while back.

Which two slots are the RAM in?

A2 and B2. Dual channel mobo 😛

I did a quick reseat of everything with the exception of the CPU. Blew out the DIMM slots incase of dust. I used to be a laptop repair tech and the amount of memory issues caused by FOB or memory misalignment are crazy.

I did notice however that there was some offset on both of the DIMMs. Kind of odd but looks normal according to a quick google search.image.png.b35277273446f0a791aebb4d1bf9b05d.png

A quick look at that ram kit shows it only has xmp not expo (AMD's version) and only lists Intel compatibility. Have yo enabled the xmp profile? If so have you tried having it disabled to see if the bsod stops? 

Sorry I haven't got any experience with AM5 yet. Sticking to AM4 for a couple years yet. 

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

It's an AMD mobo so it doesn't support XMP. It does have DOCP which is set to disabled.

Can I lower the clock speed of the memory to rule that out as a problem? Unfortunately there were no white DIMMs that had AMDs expo released yet so this is what I had to stick with. If it turns out that's the problem I can definitely buy other RAM.

Docp will enable the xmp profile of the ram, but if it's not enabled it should default to whatever the standard is on AM5. 

You could try manually lowering the speed or loosening up the timings to see if it helps. (Or give it a small voltage bump)

Do you bsod before getting to desktop or can you use Windows for a little while first? Just wondering what speed/cas the ram is running (check with CPUZ or similar program)

The 7700x has an iGpu correct? Tried removing the 3080 and using the mobo display out see if it makes any difference? 

could be a buggy bios as it's a new platform that still probably has teething problems. Any update available for your board?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

I can use it but in Chrome I keep getting STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors on webpages. The blue screen's don't happen very often. One BSOD error I missed was ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY so I'll try lowering the speed to 3200 m/t and see what that does over the next day or 2.

To rule out the GPU I plan to install it in my previous system and use that for a few days to make sure that's good. I don't anticipate any errors there.

One thing to note I haven't had a BSOD on a few hours now. I'll try some gaming here and see what happens.

Well good luck, happy gaming and report back either way 👍👍

11 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

No update for the board, it already has the latest bios revision flashed. A buddy of mine who run a 5600x also said that AMD had teething problems out the gate, but I don't think that appears to be the problem here.

14 hours ago, Gazereths said:

Well good luck, happy gaming and report back either way 👍👍

Looks like adjusting the timings did the trick. I left machine on all night with GTA V in the background and didn't have a crash once. Doing some tweaking right now to see how much speed I can get out of it. Currently at 4200 with a bit of overvolting and system is quite stable.

Thanks all for the assistance. Can't believe I overlooked the timings being the problem.