Looking to upgrade and have a rough idea, wondering if it's a good idea.

Vennaya
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
8 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

Great thanks, that is good to know. Honestly most of my workload at least at the moment is on CSP and not photoshop but i imagine that with them being fairly similar programs it will be about the same story?

Don't really know how CSP behaves so can't really comment on that. For all I know it could love AMD cards. In my bit of Googling for it, it doesn't seem to care what GPU vendor you use, but that's just about 5 minutes of searching so take that for what you will. 

16 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

I put together a new list based on the replies i have gotten here

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CRhT3y

Obviously its over my budget but i suppose i'm just going to have to cross my fingers at a good deal over black friday?

Not bad, though I'd be trying to go for a 3080, not a 3070 Ti, mostly because the 3080s are actually a bit cheaper. Other than that it's a pretty solid build though

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nzdftn

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for Black Friday deals, over the past 2-3 years they haven't really been that great. There's the occasional SSD deal, sometime a PSU deal, and if your lucky a CPU/motherboard deal (though this is usually on last gen gear), but all in the range of ~$20-30 off at most. Not saying you won't find some good deals on those/similar parts, just don't expect a miracle. 

23 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

I'm also unsure as to if the motherboard i chose has a flashback feature, or whatever its called, to allow me to update the BIOS to make it compatible with the CPU. I've looked on the product page on the website and it doesn't mention it but there does seem to be a button of some kind on the back so maybe that's it? The BIOS needing updating seems to be a thing on basically every single motherboard at a reasonable price.

It does. The Z690-A Pro is a really solid motherboard, and I can confirm it does have BIOS Flashback (built two different machines with that same board)

15 hours ago, Vennaya said:

Can someone describe to me how exactly AMD gpus are less "stable" than nvidia gpus on say, photoshop, for instance? Because from what i've managed to dig up it really does seem like these kinds of programs are mostly CPU and Ram heavy, and barely do anything with the GPU?

I don't know how GPU compatibility works in Photoshop,

I think if the GPU in Photoshop mattered you would have more info than "you need a compatible GPU",

there is no explanation or "list of gpus" that support it, only that Photoshop requires certain amount of VRAM which basicaly should be always met with 99% of gaming PCs...

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

16 hours ago, Vennaya said:

Okay so i have done a bit more research and i had a few more questions in regards to the build here https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nzdftn that was featured a few posts ago.

So first question - It seems like that AIO cooler isn't actually compatible with LGA 1700? PC Part picker does not mention any incompatibility however on the amazon product page i have managed to find, it apparently does not support this socket? Which is correct?

I admit, i'm not too versed in terms of socket compatibility etc when it comes to coolers so i have no idea what even would make it incompatible? I'll be honest, i'm having a hard time finding a cooler that outright states it is compatible with LGA 1700.

This is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084LLD3PH/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1U2WCBY9FQRJ5&psc=1 to the cooler i was looking at, which seems to be the same model as the one on pc parts picker, only in black and a bit cheaper at the moment.

Also, i've been trying to find information about AMD vs Nvidia GPUs in Clip studio paint but it seems that, unlike photoshop, it doesn't matter? Though i have been able to turn up basically very little in this regard, just a few "It should be fine" kind of responses. Can someone describe to me how exactly AMD gpus are less "stable" than nvidia gpus on say, photoshop, for instance? Because from what i've managed to dig up it really does seem like these kinds of programs are mostly CPU and Ram heavy, and barely do anything with the GPU?

I won't bother about any new cooler compatibility with LGA1700, all are now compatible

Can't tell for sure if there's any difference between AMD and Nvidia in Clip Studio, but concerns about AMD drivers is mostly a thing from the past 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I won't bother about any new cooler compatibility with LGA1700, all are now compatible

Can't tell for sure if there's any difference between AMD and Nvidia in Clip Studio, but concerns about AMD drivers is mostly a thing from the past 

How exactly are all now compatible? Are you saying that LGA1700 socket has the same mounts for cooling that previous sockets had?

I asked the seller on if the AIO is compatible with LGA1700 (it's not listed) and they said that it is not compatible? So kinda getting conflicting information here.

Also as far as GPU vs Clip studio paint...i can't find much at all about the subject but the official reccomended specs for the software only say "A gpu that supports OpenGL 2.1" which isn't exactly the most extensive of requirements lists. Some people have been telling me that CSP isn't optimised for any piece of hardware or another, so i think it'll be fine to go an AMD gpu? Especially with prices having gone up with the nvidia cards here in the UK since i posted this thread a few weeks ago an AMD gpu is certainly more attractive to me, an rx 6800 xt is on average a good £150-£200 cheaper than the cheapest 3080 anywhere online.

Speaking of, there is an Asrock rx 6800 xt that is going for just over £550 at the moment which makes it a good £60 cheaper than any of the other manufacturers of the same card, though i can't say i know how good ASrock GPUs are, as i understand they are fairly new to the GPU space compared to known brands like MSI, which is a brand i do tend to lean towards as everything i've bought from them so far has lasted me years and years with basically no problems where as other brands i typically see some issues here and there with age. Not to mention that the ASrock amd gpu i'm looking at for some reason needs 3x 8pin connectors where as a comparible ASUS one (the next cheapest) only needs 2x 8 pins, which is kinda got me scratching my head a bit.

(Links for the GPUs i mentioned)

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/asrock-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx6800xt-pgd-16go/p/N82E16814930049 - AsRock

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-radeon-rx-6800-xt-tuf-gaming-oc-16gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-45c-as.html - ASUS

11 hours ago, Vennaya said:

How exactly are all now compatible? Are you saying that LGA1700 socket has the same mounts for cooling that previous sockets had?

I asked the seller on if the AIO is compatible with LGA1700 (it's not listed) and they said that it is not compatible? So kinda getting conflicting information here.

Also as far as GPU vs Clip studio paint...i can't find much at all about the subject but the official reccomended specs for the software only say "A gpu that supports OpenGL 2.1" which isn't exactly the most extensive of requirements lists. Some people have been telling me that CSP isn't optimised for any piece of hardware or another, so i think it'll be fine to go an AMD gpu? Especially with prices having gone up with the nvidia cards here in the UK since i posted this thread a few weeks ago an AMD gpu is certainly more attractive to me, an rx 6800 xt is on average a good £150-£200 cheaper than the cheapest 3080 anywhere online.

Speaking of, there is an Asrock rx 6800 xt that is going for just over £550 at the moment which makes it a good £60 cheaper than any of the other manufacturers of the same card, though i can't say i know how good ASrock GPUs are, as i understand they are fairly new to the GPU space compared to known brands like MSI, which is a brand i do tend to lean towards as everything i've bought from them so far has lasted me years and years with basically no problems where as other brands i typically see some issues here and there with age. Not to mention that the ASrock amd gpu i'm looking at for some reason needs 3x 8pin connectors where as a comparible ASUS one (the next cheapest) only needs 2x 8 pins, which is kinda got me scratching my head a bit.

(Links for the GPUs i mentioned)

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/asrock-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx6800xt-pgd-16go/p/N82E16814930049 - AsRock

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-radeon-rx-6800-xt-tuf-gaming-oc-16gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-45c-as.html - ASUS

LGA1700 being 1yr+ old all recent coolers ship with a compatible bracket, and I had a look at the specs on Newegg, it's listed

If yours don't come with rather buy one elsewhere, or another  one, this one is cheap but not great

I won't bother neither with the GPU manufacturer, they're so tied by NVidia/AMD specs that there's not a big difference between manufacturers at same tier. Sure you can pull off +8% perf at +25% power on higher tier ones, but they're usually near as expensive as lower tier on next better card, which will be better overall..
Higher tier overdo power delivery, you don't need 3 PCie connectors unless the card pulls off more than 400W, and I don't think a 6800XT can use that much

According to pcp the best deal on a 6800XT in the UK is that https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/XPjNnQ/asrock-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16-gb-phantom-gaming-d-oc-video-card-rx6800xt-pgd-16go

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones