Windows 11 login screen

Techo238

Not massively sure where I would post this as it was mostly just a curiostiy of mine.

I have an XPS 15 9510 and it has both Windows Hello facial recognition and a fingerprint sensor however, I also have a dock at my desk and when its docked the laptop is closed but when I wake my laptop it defaults to either Windows hello or fingerprint for login and the password box is hidden on another menu. I've also on occasion had it open and using it as a laptop it doesnt recognise my face and my finger is dirty or whatever so it wont detect that but it sits on the fingerprint recognition screen and waits for me to switch it manually to the pin entry section.

Is there a way to just have it always automatically default to the password entry screen? 

1 minute ago, Techo238 said:

Not massively sure where I would post this as it was mostly just a curiostiy of mine.

I have an XPS 15 9510 and it has both Windows Hello facial recognition and a fingerprint sensor however, I also have a dock at my desk and when its docked the laptop is closed but when I wake my laptop it defaults to either Windows hello or fingerprint for login and the password box is hidden on another menu. I've also on occasion had it open and using it as a laptop it doesnt recognise my face and my finger is dirty or whatever so it wont detect that but it sits on the fingerprint recognition screen and waits for me to switch it manually to the pin entry section.

Is there a way to just have it always automatically default to the password entry screen? 

Easiest way is to just disable Windows Hello.

image.png.c62a8c65d5b96f34b874b851d9eacf48.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Techo238 said:

Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, so like BlueChin said. If you are docking closed your laptop, and want Windows Hello, your alternative is to get a webcam with Windows Hello feature, like the Logitech BRIO webcam, for instance, or USB fingerprint reader (just make sure it is Windows Hello compatible)

On 11/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Easiest way is to just disable Windows Hello.

image.png.c62a8c65d5b96f34b874b851d9eacf48.png

I'm not looking to outright disable biometrics, more just wanting it to always default to the password screen.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:10 AM, GoodBytes said:

Yes, so like BlueChin said. If you are docking closed your laptop, and want Windows Hello, your alternative is to get a webcam with Windows Hello feature, like the Logitech BRIO webcam, for instance, or USB fingerprint reader (just make sure it is Windows Hello compatible)

maybe an external windows hello webcam is the answer but honestly its more effort than just clicking a button each time i wanna log in at my desk. 

Why microsoft felt the need to separate the login methods seems crazy to me, i recon it must be a holdover from a previous version of windows cause it seems awfully backwards for me.

19 hours ago, Berris Fueller said:

This might eliminate half of the problem :

Reg.exe add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Biometrics" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

this seems like it would disable biometrics outright which isn't quite what I'm after

17 minutes ago, Techo238 said:

I'm not looking to outright disable biometrics, more just wanting it to always default to the password screen.

maybe an external windows hello webcam is the answer but honestly its more effort than just clicking a button each time i wanna log in at my desk. 

Why microsoft felt the need to separate the login methods seems crazy to me, i recon it must be a holdover from a previous version of windows cause it seems awfully backwards for me.

The issue is that even if there was a way to which I'm not aware of, if you want to use biometrics again, then would have to manually change your login method at the login screen anyways. So in practice you're not saving yourself any time. So why keep it around? 

I've heard setting default login methods is more of a limitation because certain ones don't work in Safe Mode, @GoodBytescorrect me if I'm wrong.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've heard setting default login methods is more of a limitation because certain ones don't work in Safe Mode, @GoodBytescorrect me if I'm wrong.

Good question, I forgot. All the "solutions" are the same. Things changes between version of Windows, and Microsoft has a separate tool for this, so might as well use Microsoft own tool. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon