SATA cables that don't CLICK and HOLD into place?

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
3 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

To both of you... My two SSDs are mounted vertically with the SATA ports pointed upwards. Is this the optimal orientation for them?

SSD's have no moving parts so their orientation does not matter. As mentioned before: if the cables don't fall out, you're good to go.

I have several SATA cables that make the click and do hold when connected to the motherboard but when connected to the SSD do not click and can just be pulled off with ease. Is this common? Is there some special brand of SATA cable I should be buying?

thanks..🤔⛈️

Maybe something's worn out.  I've had good experiences with Delock cables so far and if I wanted to buy SATA cables, I'd assume their SATA cables are ok as well and buy those unless I could see on the pictures that their cables look like the ones that catch fire.

Motherboard SATA ports have that housing around them. SSD SATA ports are generally just the connector tongue with no extra housing, if they're not falling out it's fine.

22 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

I have several SATA cables that make the click and do hold when connected to the motherboard but when connected to the SSD do not click and can just be pulled off with ease. Is this common? Is there some special brand of SATA cable I should be buying?

thanks..🤔⛈️

What @Coolmastersaid above is most likely true. I've had many SATA SSD's without the 2x tiny holes cut into the plastic housing that allows the SATA Data cable to "lock in" with a click sound. It's normal on some drives, and completely fine as long as the cables are so loose that they fall out of the connector.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

32 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What @Coolmastersaid above is most likely true. I've had many SATA SSD's without the 2x tiny holes cut into the plastic housing that allows the SATA Data cable to "lock in" with a click sound. It's normal on some drives, and completely fine as long as the cables are so loose that they fall out of the connector.

To both of you... My two SSDs are mounted vertically with the SATA ports pointed upwards. Is this the optimal orientation for them?

3 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

SSD's have no moving parts so their orientation does not matter. As mentioned before: if the cables don't fall out, you're good to go.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)