AMD+Nvidia Gaming Compatibility | Linux

If you happen to be on an AMD+Nvidia configured machine but are somehow having some gaming stability issues, I'm going to pitch a hand in hopes to help by providing a technical approach to hopefully fixing your issues. Do not fear, the black box is not as scary as some make it out to be (windows has one too, you just don't use it 馃槈 ).

If you've got a quality distro, these should be included anyway. Keep in mind that "distros" are created to serve specific purposes. I.e Kali, Parrot, or Ubuntu likely won't have all of these packages installed by default because they were NOT designed with gaming in mind. Garuda/Manjaro/Pop! are probably the most robust . In that order.聽

At one point I decided I wanted to build my own Linux system; which required that I do quite a bit of homework as to how Linux works. In this post, I'll share how I established gaming stability on my AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU system.

I wanted to build a system specifically for utilizing Steam and Lutris. So I looked into dependencies required of both programs as well as whatever packages were required to stabilize my AMD-CPU and my Nvidia-GPU. This is the core of my system. Regardless of distro, if you're on an AMD/Nvidia system, this may prove helpful if you're having issues.聽

Open a terminal i.e. konsole / tilix / yakuake / xterm / GNOME terminal ect.

To install, you can do so easily via a terminal utilizing whatever syntax your distro uses.聽
i.e. sudo pacman -S / sudo apt install / sudo yum install / sudo yay install / sudo dnf install ect.
Note: the --needed tag just ensures you're only installing packages you don't already have; skipping those you do. Save a few seconds.聽

I'm not going to break down each and every package or what purpose each serves; I trust you can look into that on your own. You can do so at聽https://wiki.archlinux.org/聽(Regardless of Distro, the Arch Wiki will help you).聽

I will note that amd-ucode is for CPU stability.

--needed base linux linux-lts linux-lts-headers linux-firmware linux-firmware-whence聽amd-ucode xorg xorg-server xorg-apps xorg-server-xvfb xorg-xgamma nvidia nvidia-lts nvidia-utils nvidia-settings nvidia-libgl lib32-nvidia-libgl innoextract gamemode lib32-gamemode glibc lib32-glibc vkd3d lib32-vkd3d python-evdev wine-staging winetricks giflib lib32-giflib libpng lib32-libpng libldap lib32-libldap gnutls lib32-gnutls mpg123 lib32-mpg123 openal lib32-openal libpulse lib32-libpulse alsa alsa-lib alsa-plugins alsa-utils lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-lib libjpeg-turbo lib32-libjpeg-turbo libxcomposite lib32-libxcomposite libxinerama lib32-libxinerama ncurses lib32-ncurses opencl-icd-loader lib32-opencl-icd-loader libxslt lib32-libxslt libva lib32-libva gtk3 lib32-gtk3 gst-plugins-base-libs lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader samba base-devel dosfstools ntfsprogs packagekit-qt5 qt5-websockets python-docopt python-numpy python-pyaudio python-cffi python-websockets bluedevil bluez-utils steam-native-runtime lutris聽

Then execute (for GPU driver settings persistence)

systemctl enable nvidia-persistenced.service

The package list above includes bluetooth drivers for those who play with controllers like I do (PS5 Dual Sense).聽

When you login, be sure to do so via X11 > Wayland; at least for now.

I reiterate, this is only for those who are seemingly having stability issues for whatever reason who happen to have an AMD cpu and Nvidia GPU. If you're having problems, might as well try this and see if I can share my systems stability with you before you jump ship back to Sindows 10/11.聽

Anyone who mutually buttery smooth gaming experience here on Linux; feel free to chime in or elaborate on anything I may have missed. Just seek to be helpful for those who are trying to utilize Linux.

Good luck gamers.聽
AO

_\---|--------------------------|----------------------------|---/_

_\---|------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------Arch Linux------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------|---/_

_\|Host Specs|/_
|MB: ASUS PRIME-X570 Pro | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 128GB 3600MHz C18 |聽COOLING:Corsair H150i PRO|聽
|聽
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia GeForce RTX3080 12GB OC Edition | PSU:聽Corsair RM850 850W Gold|CASE:聽Phanteks Eclipse P600|
|聽
PERIPHERALS | KB: Razer Ornata Chroma |聽MOUSE: Redragon M908| SOUND:聽Logitech Z-5300e|
|
CONTROLLER: SONY PS5 DualSense |
/--| <>< |--\
|'You can't have no idea how little I care" - Monte Walsh|
(_\|"It just works"|/_)

_\-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------0----------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------/_

_\---|------------|------------|---/_
\----/
\/