No post

corne

Hi guys 

I'm new to the forum but seeing that I follow Linus tech tips religiously I thought this would be a good place to ask some questions.

my setup is 

ryzen 7 2700x

Asus Rog b450 Strix gaming motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x 8GB DDR4

Gigabyte AORUS Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 

And a WD green ssd.

I bought an additional 16gb ram and a 1tb nvme m.2 drive to upgrade a bit,I installed windows 11 after a bios update, and everything was working great.

Until I installed graphics drivers,the drivers installed correctly and the pc was idling on the desktop,I went to the kitchen for a snack and when I came back it was a blank screen.

I noticed that the white troubleshooting light on the motherboard was on indicating its a VGA issue,I reseated the card but no success.

I decided to reseat the ram aswell but now the white light is gone and I'm stuck on a red light(CPU) I basically rebuild the hole computer to make sure there is no connection issues but still nothing.

Could it be that the CPU or motherboard is faulty?

Also is it possible that I have just created another problem and that the VGA output is still an issue?

Hope someone can help thanks

The BIOS update may be part of this (I've seen certain PCIe support removed to make room for other things), but I had similar issues with my 5900X build and a 3600X test bed due to RAM stability issues. The Ballistix I originally used was not QVL'd for either board used, and both had issues, some similar, some not so similar. The 5900X froze in sleep mode with random no video starts, crashes and shutdowns. The 3600X build just didn't seem to run quite right and showed a constant hourglass in Windows.

What told the tale was when I inserted the second DIMM in the test bed. Same no video-start I got with the other one. Replaced with kits using the same timings and voltage and both ran perfectly. Indications are that this was also an issue with another previous machine I have. Another kit of the same DIMMs, not QVL'd, and they register at different speeds. The machine has acted like a crack baby for two years now, and I think that's why.

QVL is a thing with Ryzen boards, despite what some say about "RAM is RAM". But don't be surprised if Windows 11 gives you even more issues after solving this problem.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

The BIOS update may be part of this (I've seen certain PCIe support removed to make room for other things), but I had similar issues with my 5900X build and a 3600X test bed due to RAM stability issues. The Ballistix I originally used was not QVL'd for either board used, and both had issues, some similar, some not so similar. The 5900X froze in sleep mode with random no video starts, crashes and shutdowns. The 3600X build just didn't seem to run quite right and showed a constant hourglass in Windows.

What told the tale was when I inserted the second DIMM in the test bed. Same no video-start I got with the other one. Replaced with kits using the same timings and voltage and both ran perfectly. Indications are that this was also an issue with another previous machine I have. Another kit of the same DIMMs, not QVL'd, and they register at different speeds. The machine has acted like a crack baby for two years now, and I think that's why.

QVL is a thing with Ryzen boards, despite what some say about "RAM is RAM". But don't be surprised if Windows 11 gives you even more issues after solving this problem.

Cool thanks man,the original r set installed is the Corsair cmw16gx4 and the new set I bought is a cmh16gx4 would that be an issue running them together?

Both running the same frequency and on the qvl list.

IMG_20221028_134511.jpg

6 hours ago, heimdali said:

Try a different graphics card, or the card in another computer.

I have an old HD 6850 that I know still worked,tried it and still nothing.

14 minutes ago, corne said:

I have an old HD 6850 that I know still worked,tried it and still nothing.

Good, that indicates that the graphics card isn't the problem.  Does it work when you try it with only the old RAM?

The BIOS update sure is suspicious, is there a way to revert that or boot from the backup copy of the BIOS (if the board has that feature)?

If that doesn't work, you can always take out the RAM and the graphics card and see what happens.  And there should be a way to reset the BIOS with a jumper, or you'd have to take out the battery for a while to reset the BIOS, try that first.

4 hours ago, corne said:

Cool thanks man,the original r set installed is the Corsair cmw16gx4 and the new set I bought is a cmh16gx4 would that be an issue running them together?

Both running the same frequency and on the qvl list.

Quite frankly, you're asking for trouble mixing different DIMMs. That almost never ends well. Even with the same frequency and both on the QVL. I would use whichever you have more of and stick with that.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!