Network with possible packet loss - Occurring at random

superjack010

I recently built a game hosting machine and have been hosting a modded Minecraft server for a handful of my friends. The connection has been smooth and problem-free for ~3 weeks. However, suddenly all my friends now randomly receive large ping spikes resulting in a 10-20 second delay for any input they attempt to do. I have been able to narrow the issue down to possible packet loss. I had two of my friends who are located in Texas and Florida run a pingplotter test. I've attached one of the results below.

My current ISP is Spectrum, and I pay for the 1Gbit connection, which seems stable. I've added some information below, which hopefully helps.

Speedtest results:

Download - 890.37Mbps

Upload - 35.20Mbps

The server machine is hardwired directly to my router. I also have a TP-link 8-Port Gigabit desktop switch (TL-SG108), which is used to add more ethernet ports.

Server Specs: i5 6500 @ 3.40Ghz, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz Ram, 430W ThermalTake PSU, 500GB SSD, W10

CPU usage is around 15-20%; RAM usage is about 60%.

pingplotter.png

On 10/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, superjack010 said:

My current ISP is Spectrum, and I pay for the 1Gbit connection, which seems stable. I've added some information below, which hopefully helps.

Are these graphs generated on the server during the times that your friends are experiencing the issue?

Connection latency around 80ms shouldn't translate to what your friends are experiencing.

Some other questions:

1. Is this server running on Windows? If so, which version?
  2. Are you sure no other software is trying to access the network in the background? Windows Update is notorious for this and quite a few large updates are being pushed to users if things are set to "automatic". Any BitTorrent clients running in the background?
  3. Is anyone else using your network at the same time? Perhaps they are streaming or downloading their own content which can briefly interrupt a shared connection.