How many outtake case fans do I need?

Alexb770

I have a Corsair 5000D Airflow and I plan on filling out all 10 fan slots. The 3 top slots will be taken up by a 360mm AIO (corsair H150i), which leaves me room for 7 fans. The case has three 120mm slots on the side panel adjacent to the front panel, and I'm wondering if any of them should be outtake fans or if all 3 of those plus all 3 front panel slots should be intake fans, with the rear fan as my sole outtake fan. I'll have a 3080ti and 13700K inside this thing, by the way. 

Front and side would be intake fans, and top and rear should be output fans.  6 intake + 4 output.  This should create a positive pressure and any additional air will leave via the venting on the rear of the chassis by the PCI slots.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

I wouldn't fill in the 3 120mm on the side of the front intake since they probably won't do too much, and would be decent amount of money down the drain it you're planning to fill it with fans that cost 70 dollars for 3 like lian li's sli uni fans. I'd have your aio set to exhaust and have the back 120mm to exhaust as well, with of course the front 3 being intake 

8 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Front and side would be intake fans, and top and rear should be output fans.  6 intake + 4 output.  This should create a positive pressure and any additional air will leave via the venting on the rear of the chassis by the PCI slots.  

Thanks, I'll go with this setup then!

5 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I wouldn't fill in the 3 120mm on the side of the front intake since they probably won't do too much, and would be decent amount of money down the drain it you're planning to fill it with fans that cost 70 dollars for 3 like lian li's sli uni fans. I'd have your aio set to exhaust and have the back 120mm to exhaust as well, with of course the front 3 being intake 

I also wondered if 3 side panel fans would really do much, but in the end I figured they wouldn't hurt and more importantly I thought it would look good aesthetically. I'm down to throw away a little money for some looks 😜

3 minutes ago, Alexb770 said:

I also wondered if 3 side panel fans would really do much, but in the end I figured they wouldn't hurt and more importantly I thought it would look good aesthetically. I'm down to throw away a little money for some looks 😜

I was answering your post directly, but in all honesty you may actually run into a problem with the 2 sets of intake fans pointed into the same area.  It may create a dead-zone under your GPU.

If you have the ability to, I would do an experiment.  Put the output fans in place, and the front side intake fans in, then measure system temperatures.  Then add in the sidewall fans and test again.  Go with whatever temperatures are lower.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

13 minutes ago, Alexb770 said:

and more importantly I thought it would look good aesthetically. I'm down to throw away a little money for some looks 😜

Fair enough then lol

Play around with the fan speeds, eventually you'll work out optimal settings.

I'd use front and side intake with rear and top exhaust?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, LapsedMemory said:

I was answering your post directly, but in all honesty you may actually run into a problem with the 2 sets of intake fans pointed into the same area.  It may create a dead-zone under your GPU.

If you have the ability to, I would do an experiment.  Put the output fans in place, and the front side intake fans in, then measure system temperatures.  Then add in the sidewall fans and test again.  Go with whatever temperatures are lower.  

I'll keep this in mind once I have everything built. Still waiting on the motherboard which will come in this weekend at the earliest, but once I have it up and running and I'll see how the temps are with all 6 intakes vs. just the 3 front panel fans on. In the event temps are better with just the 3 front fans, would I be able to run the 3 side panel fans at a very low RPM to still keep the visual aspect of them? Or would that still be creating the dead zone, and I'd need to disable/remove them altogether? 

20 minutes ago, Alexb770 said:

I'll keep this in mind once I have everything built. Still waiting on the motherboard which will come in this weekend at the earliest, but once I have it up and running and I'll see how the temps are with all 6 intakes vs. just the 3 front panel fans on. In the event temps are better with just the 3 front fans, would I be able to run the 3 side panel fans at a very low RPM to still keep the visual aspect of them? Or would that still be creating the dead zone, and I'd need to disable/remove them altogether? 

Depends on how many fan headers your mobo has.  Should be doable if you have a full compliment similar to the following:

CPU_FAN (3 aio fans)

AIO_PUMP (self explanatory)

CHA_1 (3 intake + 1 rear exhaust)

CHA_2 (3 side intake)

Then just set fan profiles accordingly.