What is the purpose of the TP-Link OC200/OC300 Hardware Controller

Drake Jest

I plan on having multiple VLAN for my home networking and im planning to use the TP-Link ER605 Omada Gigabit VPN Router. In videos i have researched it would seem that they always have a OC200 or OC300 hardware controller when they use that router. Do i really also need one? what does it do?

The OC200 is a 100mbps version and the OC300 1000mbps version. Based on the structure i have seen i do not think internet traffic goes into and out to this device, so if my internet is speed is 300mbps will i be fine if i use the oc200 (100mbps version).

It's the local controller, you either control everything via the cloud dashboard OR the OC200|OC300 controllers which sits in your network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

It's the local controller, you either control everything via the cloud dashboard OR the OC200|OC300 controllers which sits in your network.

oh wait so you cant setup that router locally without the oc200/300?

12 hours ago, Drake Jest said:

oh wait so you cant setup that router locally without the oc200/300?

No, the controller (cloud or local) is what handles the configuration.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

No, the controller (cloud or local) is what handles the configuration.

So to be absolutly clear i need both the router and cloud controller.

How about my second question ? do i really need the 1000mbps (oc300) ?? The internet frrom my ISP is 300mbps, and i dont think internet traffic passes through the controller am i right? so can i get away with the 100mbps (oc200) version?

19 minutes ago, Drake Jest said:

So to be absolutly clear i need both the router and cloud controller.

How about my second question ? do i really need the 1000mbps (oc300) ?? The internet frrom my ISP is 300mbps, and i dont think internet traffic passes through the controller am i right? so can i get away with the 100mbps (oc200) version?

The Omada software can be installed on a local system if you've got a home server set up.  The OC is just dedicated hardware to run it.  

From everything I've read on Omaga, you should not NEED the OC controller for the router if you've got the software installed somewhere else on your network.  I've got a few of their Omada based access points and I am in the process of setting up the omada software on a NUC I have lying around.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

39 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

The Omada software can be installed on a local system if you've got a home server set up.  The OC is just dedicated hardware to run it.  

From everything I've read on Omaga, you should not NEED the OC controller for the router if you've got the software installed somewhere else on your network.  I've got a few of their Omada based access points and I am in the process of setting up the omada software on a NUC I have lying around.  

i think i have decided im just going to buy a dedicated controller as there is no really "permanent" pc in the house, so if i need to setup something and the pc with the software is not at home that would be inconvenient,

the OC200 is not that expensive anyway, the OC300 on the other hand is very expensive. Thats why i need to know if i am still able to utilize the 300 mbps from my ISP if im going to use the OC200 which is a 100mbps version

22 minutes ago, Drake Jest said:

i think i have decided im just going to buy a dedicated controller as there is no really "permanent" pc in the house, so if i need to setup something and the pc with the software is not at home that would be inconvenient,

the OC200 is not that expensive anyway, the OC300 on the other hand is very expensive. Thats why i need to know if i am still able to utilize the 300 mbps from my ISP if im going to use the OC200 which is a 100mbps version

As far as I am aware, it's JUST a management controller for the equipment.  It doesn't physically handle any broader network traffic.  You should be able to get full speed thru your network with the OC200.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T