Installed an m.2 to laptop now doesn't show any life

Need_Not
Go to solution Solved by Need_Not,

Happy ending, fully unplugged the battery with all connectors then installed it back, new ram and ssd are installed and everything works!

I added an m.2 to a laptop and now it doesn't turn on or even show a light when plugged in. I cannot think of why this could happen as I did not even touch anything other than than the ssd.

I uninstalled the ssd still no luck

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

I assume you have a rather old laptop since you have to install an ssd to it.

Did you reconnect the battery to the motherboard? Or did you reconnect every cable to the motherboard? Try to plug the laptop to the charger and see if it is starts. 

If you did not disconnect the battery, I heard that it is quite common for laptops being shorted due to disassembly without disconnecting the battery and flushing the remaining charge. I learnt this from a service center.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

5 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I assume you have a rather old laptop since you have to install an ssd to it.

Did you reconnect the battery to the motherboard? Or did you reconnect every cable to the motherboard? Try to plug the laptop to the charger and see if it is starts. 

If you did not disconnect the battery, I heard that it is quite common for laptops being shorted due to disassembly without disconnecting the battery and flushing the remaining charge. I learnt this from a service center.

Oh no I didn't know about that last bit.

I haven't unplugged anything. What would you recommend I do? Unplug the 3 cables connecting the battery?

Each laptop model, not only brand, has different ways of connecting the battery to the motherboard, at least from experience. So just unplug any cable that is connected to the chassis and the battery before doing anything.

But since you did not do any of that, I'd advise you to go to a service center and ask them to take a look, you need special tools to see if the motherboard is truly shorted.

Did anything light up when when you first press the power button? If so, and then it immediately shut down, probably shorted something. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

2 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Each laptop model, not only brand, has different ways of connecting the battery to the motherboard, at least from experience. So just unplug any cable that is connected to the chassis and the battery before doing anything.

But since you did not do any of that, I'd advise you to go to a service center and ask them to take a look, you need special tools to see if the motherboard is truly shorted.

Did anything light up when when you first press the power button? If so, and then it immediately shut down, probably shorted something. 

I didn't see anything that I know of. No fans for sure if it did try to turn on it was a light on the side but I didn't see. Now like I said it's completely cold

6 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Battery is fully unplugged and the laptop now works and turns on. So just a battery issue? What now

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Battery is fully unplugged and the laptop now works and turns on. So just a battery issue? What now

Hmm, now that is weird, maybe the battery connector got loose before? It's hard to advise anything without seeing the actual thing. If the battery connector is not loose, then maybe it was just out of juice.

Since it is turned on now, it means that it is not shorted. Then I'd shut down the laptop and try to plug the battery again. Make sure that the battery connector is clean and you don't have sweaty hands while plugging it.

4 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Hmm, now that is weird, maybe the battery connector got loose before? It's hard to advise anything without seeing the actual thing. If the battery connector is not loose, then maybe it was just out of juice.

Since it is turned on now, it means that it is not shorted. Then I'd shut down the laptop and try to plug the battery again. Make sure that the battery connector is clean and you don't have sweaty hands while plugging it.

I plugged the battery in and it works

So I'm not sure what happened

Most probably the connector just got loose when you disassembled the laptop. 

Good news then.

Happy ending, fully unplugged the battery with all connectors then installed it back, new ram and ssd are installed and everything works!