need advice on building my nas

Hey, 

this is my first post, so I´m already sorry upfront if I´m doing anything horribly wrong. I read all the community standards and hope to be at the right place - if not, feel free to guide me. I´m an absolut noob regarding forums.

Build:

I´m using my first gaming computer, built in 2014. Sadly my GTX 760 died after installing Windows 10 and I´ve literally tried everything to make it work, but nah. Code 43 - seems dead or at least not worth the 80 bucks that it´s worth on the used market here.

Fortunately, I built the system with an i7. So currently it can run on the onboard-graphics.

CPU: i7 4790

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

BOOT-DRIVE: 64 GB SanDisk Flash-Thumbdrive with OpenMediaVault installed on it

DATA-DRIVE: Currently only one Samsung QVO SSD 1 TB - it was laying around here and as I got frustrated while fixing my GPU, the NAS idea came up

yep, a NAS with one drive - laugh about it. i would probably as well - but yea, as i said, i was really frustrated ^^ and my backups are currently on my running systems and on external hard drives. just waiting for black friday to come around for some deals mb

POWER SUPPLY: 500W - is it even possible to put a newer GPU into it? 

GPU: If possible with the power supply that´s in the build, I would get a used one. Any recommendations what I should lookout for? And at what price point are the recommended GPUs considered "a good deal"? I obviously don´t want any harsh bottlenecks or overpay when I can get a similar GPU brand new for a little more.  

Budget (including currency): not planned

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

[Currently]:

- NAS connected via SMB as a simple shared folder

[Planned]:

- NAS for backing up all my data on workstation, laptop, tablet and phone

- Cloudstorage so I´m having access on the data on every device wherever I am (Nextcloud would be neat)

- I want to switch from Notion to a self hosted alternative that should run on it

- VaultWarden as password manager 

- Implementing Cloudron to install Guacamole, Nextcloud and other stuff - your ideas are very welcome 

I know quite a lot of workloads for an i7-4790 - but I´m the only concurrent user. Maybe sometimes my gf in addition - but most of the times my gf connects while i´m sitting next to her. so really there is only one concurrent user.

[Ideas and stuff I heard about but don´t really know if it´s possible ^^]

- PiKVM and PiHole (everybody talks about them, but I dont know if and how that would be useful for me)

- Jellyfin (everybody as well talks about it - but it seems a bit shady. whats going on there?)

[Current Problems and considerations]

- As I´m storing sensitive data of my company and clients, I need it to be really safe. I already encrypted the whole drive and I´m only allowing users to gain access + the client data folder is not browseable - so you dont know that its even there unless you type in the actual name

The SSH and SMB Ports are all changed from default - but is this safe enough? I don´t want anybody of my home network to gain access of this client data, let alone somebody from outside. 

- Guacamole or ManageEngine EndpointCentral to be able to remotely access my workstation via my iPad from anywhere

- Is it safe to run data on nextcloud through a vm? Somewhere when I learned about this whole NAS-topic I read that you should´nt run your nas and store your data on a VM. Makes sense to me. But everywhere I read about for example Nextcloud or Plex, they run it through Proxmox, which is, correct me if I´m wrong, running containers of Nextcloud. So basically it´s on a VM as well, right?  

I know that these are a lot of questions - Of course I did some research myself, but either they´re not talking about the same problem or they´re talking about the problem, but start to write traditional chinese after the first answer - impossible for a newbie to understand. 

So I´m hoping somebody in here can shed some light into the darkness ^^

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Sorry for my foreign english and if I did something wrong regarding the forum guidelines.

Thank you for any help in advance!