Jump to content

SN850X heatsink vs motherboard included heatsink?

Ngamer666
 Share

SN850X heatsink vs motherboard included heatsink?
Which is better? I'm wondering if i should get this ssd with or without the heatsink, because the motherboard i will buy will have heatsink for all m.2 slots.
Thanks!!
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not going to matter as much you think, even without heatsink it would be fine. Unless you constantly write or replace the data on that SSD, the temps would not go high enough to actually need a heat sink.

If your GPU is right on top of the SSD, which mine was, in this case having some sort of heat shield or heat sink would be good, bc I did not want to cook my SSD with my GPU's exhausted air.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400 | GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC | Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI | RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: Team MP33 1TB | PSU: MSI MPG A850GF | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A |  Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB | OS: Windows 11 Pro | Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

It's not going to matter as much you think, even without heatsink it would be fine. Unless you constantly write or replace the data on that SSD, the temps would not go high enough to actually need a heat sink.

If your GPU is right on top of the SSD, which mine was, in this case having some sort of heat shield or heat sink would be good, bc I did not want to cook my SSD with my GPU's exhausted air.

Yeah but i need to make a choice here, and it feels wrong to just do one way without looking at how both performs, i mean there is so much tests online for computer components, i'm surprised no one compared this. I'm sure almost every new pc builder is wondering the same thing when they see motherboards having one and also one on the drive, a choice need to be made. I guess the one coming with the motherboard would be a bit better since it's bigger?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ngamer666 said:

Yeah but i need to make a choice here, and it feels wrong to just do one way without looking at how both performs, i mean there is so much tests online for computer components, i'm surprised no one compared this. I'm sure almost every new pc builder is wondering the same thing when they see motherboards having one and also one on the drive, a choice need to be made. I guess the one coming with the motherboard would be a bit better since it's bigger?

Because it hardly ever matter, I think Linus said that the stickers that came with cheap/budget SSDs usually act as a heat spreader, which judged to be enough to cool the SSDs by the manufacturers. 

If it actually matters, independent tech reviewers would actually mention that they matter, if they don't mention it, then it doesn't matter.

If you have choice, pick whichever looks better or easier for you to install. I fail to see how is this a hard choice, performance would not be different either way.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400 | GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC | Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI | RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: Team MP33 1TB | PSU: MSI MPG A850GF | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A |  Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB | OS: Windows 11 Pro | Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't compare motherboard heatsink vs WD's, all I can say is I've had 0 issues using my motherboards heatsink with the 2TB Sn850x

Desktop - Amd 5900x / GIgaByte x570s Aorus Master / Asus TUF 3080TI OC / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum / 2TB  WD SN850x  / Samsung 49" G9 Neo 

Plex NAS - Synology 1821+ / 32GB Kingston DDR4 ECC / 8 x 16TB Seagate IronWolf Pro / 2 x 400GB Synology NVME drives (cache)

ESXi Host - i7-12700 / Asus Prime B660M-A / 64GB DDR4 / 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Because it hardly ever matter, I think Linus said that the stickers that came with cheap/budget SSDs usually act as a heat spreader, which judged to be enough to cool the SSDs by the manufacturers. 

If it actually matters, independent tech reviewers would actually mention that they matter, if they don't mention it, then it doesn't matter.

If you have choice, pick whichever looks better or easier for you to install. I fail to see how is this a hard choice, performance would not be different either way.

actualy i found some youtube tech reviewer explaining with sources that some parts of theses drives perform better when cool and other when moderately hot. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MonkeyBomb said:

I can't compare motherboard heatsink vs WD's, all I can say is I've had 0 issues using my motherboards heatsink with the 2TB Sn850x

ok thanks for your input 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 4:54 PM, Ngamer666 said:

ok thanks for your input 🙂

I just wanted to update you, I paid attention last night while I was playing some COD.  During the 3 hours, the drive never went over 47C.

 

Desktop - Amd 5900x / GIgaByte x570s Aorus Master / Asus TUF 3080TI OC / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum / 2TB  WD SN850x  / Samsung 49" G9 Neo 

Plex NAS - Synology 1821+ / 32GB Kingston DDR4 ECC / 8 x 16TB Seagate IronWolf Pro / 2 x 400GB Synology NVME drives (cache)

ESXi Host - i7-12700 / Asus Prime B660M-A / 64GB DDR4 / 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MonkeyBomb said:

I just wanted to update you, I paid attention last night while I was playing some COD.  During the 3 hours, the drive never went over 47C.

 

cool thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drives even without the heatsinks only seem fine but Samsung has the memory controller temperature appearing as ‘Drive Temperature 2’ on hwinfo. That one goes hotter when using it and will cause throttling.

 

 That one heats up like crazy, especially on PCI Express 4.0 drives but also on my old 970 Evo. While other brands don’t have a sensor, the 510 Seagate Firecuda clearly throttled because despite the main temp looking fine on the drive.

 

 So heatsinks are required, the board heatsinks on my Z690 are perfectly fine, but what our for the thermal pads cause they should be placed well, else it’s for nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The SN570 in my mini ITX build has no heatsink on it at all and has never risen above 60C even during game installs/moving. A heatsink is not a strict requirement but more a "best practice" in most cases

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1 (Showcase Entertainment Center Build) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB @ 3600MHz + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Mini ITX Portable Build) --Ryzen 5600 + GTX 1070 + Galahad 240 + 16GB @ 3600MHz + Hyte Revolt 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×