Graphics Driver Crashes

GopherTv

my computer has been crashing when playing any videogame. After trying literaly everything i factory reset my computer and it fixed it, but fortnite was feeling more stuttery than usual so I know the first step is to check my drivers, they were from 2020, updated them to the newest, crashing was back, reinstalled the driver that i had, crashing persisted. Had to factory reset computer again for it to be fixed again

please help

i have gtx 1080, and am on windows 10, was on windows 11 before all the problems but the reset brought me back to windows 10

I'm assuming you're not running any overclocks on the GPU and/or memory?

When you update the driver, did you do a clean install of the driver? 

If not, then that is a good place to start:  

Unavngivet.png.f9c81eb12cd3f76b1accbaf3a0deefb1.png

Just run the driver executable, pick if you want GeForce Experience or not, pick the "Custom install" - option and check the box for doing a clean install. 

I'm sorry for the picture not being in English, but I there didn't seem to be a language option for the driver installer. 

If you've already tried this, and it didn't work, then DDU is you next best bet. Just follow the instructions on the linked site, and you'll completely wipe the driver from your PC and be able to do a completely fresh install of a newer driver.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This might help, in the reliability history it says this:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffe7864f49f0a0
Parameter 2:    fffff8009ad12298
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    2004
OS version:    10_0_19044
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    768_1
OS Version:    10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033

6 hours ago, GopherTv said:

This might help, in the reliability history it says this:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffe7864f49f0a0
Parameter 2:    fffff8009ad12298
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    2004
OS version:    10_0_19044
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    768_1
OS Version:    10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033

Hmm, code 141 usually indicate an error with the page file or system memory. It's strange you should get this error after updating the graphics drivers. 

One easy-ish fix I've found to this in the past is to run a Windows check and repair from the command prompt (CMD).

To check the integrity of your drive(s) you need to open up the CMD, type "chkdsk (driveletter): /f /r /x" (without the quotation marks and with your driveletter put in), press enter and let that run. 

For the following repair just open up the CMD as administrator and type "SFC /scannow" (without the quotation marks), press enter and let that run. 

If non of that works, you might be looking at a more serious hardware issue. 

The first thing to check is if your graphics card in any way behaves differently when the new driver is installed. You can use a program like MSi Afterburner to check if the newer driver changes up the clock speed, power or heat target or fan curve of your card. 

Just set the OSD in Afterburner to display the relevant information while in a game, and see if the readings are out of the ordinary.   

The second thing to do is check if it's a RAM issue. Personally, I just use Windows' build-in Memory Diagnostic Tool, but the free version of MemTest86 is also a reliable option. 

Whichever option you chose, you need to have them run for the allotted time to check if your RAM is faulty. I doubt this is the case, as this shouldn't be dependent on the graphics driver, but you never know. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes