Update Windows issues

Abeing3

Whenever I try to run the update Windows tool, I am met with the attached error, in addition I tried updating to windows 11 via the installation assistant on Microsoft's website, and it stayed on downloading, 0% progress for 3 hours. I have had terrible experience with Microsoft customer support previously, so I hope you guys can save me.

Also my computer has a bunch of other wierd random buggy things, idk if they are related.

I can do all the hardware stuff when it comes to computers, but the software just confuses me.

16643932775808886475705125916177.jpg

You look like you have a corrupted Windows installation, I would suggest just clean installing Windows 11. That should solve all of your problems simultaneously.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

32 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You look like you have a corrupted Windows installation, I would suggest just clean installing Windows 11. That should solve all of your problems simultaneously.

By that you mean making an install media and act as if im installing an OS onto a new PC, right?

9 minutes ago, Abeing3 said:

By that you mean making an install media and act as if im installing an OS onto a new PC, right?

Yes, that is correct...

That, or you can also use the installation media to see if it can FIX the corrupted files.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Yes, that is correct...

ty

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Every time I see WU failures like this, I know the end result is a reinstall. There is a laundry list of things you can try to fix a FUBAR WU but 90% of the time it never works. Better to cut your losses and reinstall, absolutely. 

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Every time I see WU failures like this, I know the end result is a reinstall. There is a laundry list of things you can try to fix a FUBAR WU but 90% of the time it never works. Better to cut your losses and reinstall, absolutely. 

Pretty much my experience. A fix is probably possible (although you'll most likely be forced to fix other things that turn out to not work as well), but not really worth the time, and since OP already wanted to upgrade to Windows 11 this is a perfect time for a clean installation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

19 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Pretty much my experience. A fix is probably possible (although you'll most likely be forced to fix other things that turn out to not work as well), but not really worth the time, and since OP already wanted to upgrade to Windows 11 this is a perfect time for a clean installation.

Can I use the computer with the corrupted install to download the media for the win11 install or would that mess it up?

1 hour ago, Abeing3 said:

Can I use the computer with the corrupted install to download the media for the win11 install or would that mess it up?

Yes, it will be fine.