New pc build after 10 years

Grey Eminence

Budget (including currency): 1345CAD/25 000CZK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: running bots, programs, proxies, everyday tasks - MS Office, movie watching and similar stuff. If games, then nothing special, no need to have loads of details, something playable.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Monitor, mouse and keyboard with DVD drive are already going to be used from previous rig.

Hi everybody,

family member decided to build a new computer after having the old one for 11 years (Win 7, HDD, very slow etc). 

Imho, anything newer than this would be better and faster. Anyway, I was thinking about something like Ryzen 5600G (5700G was a bit out of budget), motherboard with wifi and bluetooth, 2x16GB RAM kit, maybe 3200-3600Mhz speeds, CL depends on price, CL16/18?, NVMe - just for the system, not sure which one, but around 300-500GB should be fine(?), then some SSD for storage - ~500GB, and then 1TB HDD for back ups etc.

Some cooler and power supply 600-750W (the idea is to get graphic card in the future). I did not go with GC bc it will not be used mainly for games, but for bots etc what I mentioned above. 

As the new Ryzens dropped, I was thinking, should I build it on AM5/PCIe 5.0 with DDR 5 ram or would that be too expensive and just should stick to DDR4, PCIe 4.0 motherboard/drives?

I would like to be sure in case of processor upgrade, that the motherboard would be fine with that (sorry, I am not sure if this would be possible, the CPU says - 5600G - that it is PCIe 3.0 - does that mean only speeds on PCIe 3.0 would be possible for NVMe and SATA drives and graphic card too? - I am just comparing to my computer, where is Ryzen 3700X and that is fine with PCIe 4.0 GC and for NVMe as well - but I had different budget.)

Thanks for any thoughts on this and/or this build.

Sites I would be using to buy these would be maybe from Germany, such as https://www.alternate.de/ , or local sites, such as: czc.cz, https://www.alza.cz/EN/ or some local ones where it is cheaper. 

The Ryzen 5XXX series needs an AM4 socket. Which is end-of-life. Next gen is AM5. So keep that in mind. (I suggest waiting a bit and doing more research, and try to get an affordable AM5 setup)

Just now, Jahee said:

The Ryzen 5XXX series needs an AM4 socket. Which is end-of-life. Next gen is AM5. So keep that in mind. (I suggest waiting a bit and doing more research, and try to get an affordable AM5 setup)

Affordable/budget and DDR5 (which AM5 requires) are incompatible. If truly on a budget, OP should stick to DDR4, which in the current market would be Ryzen 5000 or Intel 12000 series.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Just now, Kid.Lazer said:

Affordable/budget and DDR5 (which AM5 requires) are incompatible. If truly on a budget, OP should stick to DDR4, which in the current market would be Ryzen 5000 or Intel 12000 series.

If OP was able to strech their previous hardware for 10 years, they could wait a few more months for boards to become more available. And prices to drop. And considering OP is able to make their hardware last 10 years, spending a few currency items more now, with a valid upgrade path...

4 minutes ago, Jahee said:

If OP was able to strech their previous hardware for 10 years, they could wait a few more months for boards to become more available. And prices to drop. And considering OP is able to make their hardware last 10 years, spending a few currency items more now, with a valid upgrade path...

Well, the computer is really kinda dead, and slow, not to mention twice power supply changed, HDD as well, and the work is needed now (computer is used for work stuff mainly, then fun, and the work part cannot wait that long - we did wait already six months), and is difficult to get around it, so in two weeks time we are looking to get something, maybe a month, but that is a stretch already. 

Edited by Grey Eminence

I get the need for urgency.

You could but an AM4 based system right now, and have no (real) upgrade path left. What you could also try doing, is getting an (SATA) SSD right now. That way, you could probably get your current system up and running again, at greatly improved speeds. And once AM5 becomes affordable, buy that. It's the same how I did upgrade a pc once.

Had an AMD Athlon 4200+ based system. Added an SSD and used it for a while, untill I could upgrade all the other components. The speed gains I got by just installing an SSD, were crazy. Even though the board I was using was only capable of SATA2 speeds.

What are the specs of your current PCs?

There are GPUs from 10 years ago that perform better in gaming than the 5600G.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Jahee said:

If OP was able to strech their previous hardware for 10 years, [...]

If OP uses it for 10 years, a drop-in CPU upgrade will be useless compared to the then-new platforms anyway. If a decade is the metric we're using, then possible upgrades are meaningless.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

If OP uses it for 10 years, a drop-in CPU upgrade will be useless compared to the then-new platforms anyway. If a decade is the metric we're using, then possible upgrades are meaningless.

At a 5-ish year mark: being able to do just only a CPU upgrade, might be worth it. When talking about such timeframes, having SOME upgrade abilities can really extend the life. I've done so in the past.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, Vishera said:

What are the specs of your current PCs?

There are GPUs from 10 years ago that perform better in gaming than the 5600G.

My man, over 10 years old machine is just too old lol (bought in 2011). But here ya go:

- AMD Athlon II X4 640

- AMD Radeon HD 5570 

- 500GB HDD (WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0 ATA)

- 2x2GB DDR3

So what do you think about sticking to the AM4 for now and my build above, is it ok or should I actually try to build it on Intel, where they still have DD4 support and DDR5 as well. (did not check any intel prices, nor the rams, just thoughts)

1 hour ago, Grey Eminence said:

My man, over 10 years old machine is just too old lol (bought in 2011). But here ya go:

- AMD Athlon II X4 640

- AMD Radeon HD 5570 

- 500GB HDD (WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0 ATA)

- 2x2GB DDR3

That's a nice system, for it's time period anyway. We still have a few systems from that era at work.

As proof of any future upgradability being worthless for today's workloads, you could get a Phenom II X6 1100T or some such for this system (assuming you have BIOS support), but it realistically won't give you a huge improvement to make it worthwhile. Pretending the same won't be the case for a new system in another 10 years is silly.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

3 hours ago, Grey Eminence said:

over 10 years old machine is just too old lol

The HD 7970 is 10 years old and still a competent GPU.

3 hours ago, Grey Eminence said:

So what do you think about sticking to the AM4 for now and my build above

AM4 is pretty good, you can also upgrade to the 5800X3D in the future.

2 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

That's a nice system, for it's time period anyway.

Even for it's time that system was low end for gaming.

The HD 6750 and the HD 6850 were pretty good medium end cards at the time.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566