HDD DYING

Kuldar_Joel

I feel like my old HDD is dying, because stuff running of it crashes quite frequently and trying to access anything with file ex. takes a lot longer than before.

So is my HDD actually like dying or is this smth else.

The HDD is a Toshiba one from like 2017 or around there.

First, make a backup of all the data you care about from that drive onto a different physical drive.

Try checking its drive health with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo. That should give you a better idea of what's going on. (For example, if it's an SMR drive and the free space is heavily fragmented, its performance will tank even if the drive itself is healthy.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

First, make a backup of all the data you care about from that drive onto a different physical drive.

Try checking its drive health with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo. That should give you a better idea of what's going on. (For example, if it's an SMR drive and the free space is heavily fragmented, its performance will tank even if the drive itself is healthy.)

So is it fine, since it says "good"?

90e33201624449818b8703e22a61b815.png

According to the power-on-hours, this drive has "only" been spinning for about 1.7 years. So worst-case I would consider this disk well used. Far from br0ken. It's also not overly hot or anything like that. I'd check diskfragmentation and check how full it is.

For context, although I'm probably really lucky, my oldest disk has been powered on and spinning for over 12 years now. And my second-oldest is also getting close to being a decade old/and spinning.

1 hour ago, Jahee said:

According to the power-on-hours, this drive has "only" been spinning for about 1.7 years. So worst-case I would consider this disk well used. Far from br0ken. It's also not overly hot or anything like that. I'd check diskfragmentation and check how full it is.

For context, although I'm probably really lucky, my oldest disk has been powered on and spinning for over 12 years now. And my second-oldest is also getting close to being a decade old/and spinning.

It does say 1.7y, but it 100% has been used more than that

9 minutes ago, Kuldar_Joel said:

It does say 1.7y, but it 100% has been used more than that

It reports power-on-time. You might have been using your device for 10 years, but did you run it 24/7? And what about power savings mode... No activity, and it powers down? (I had all that disabled on my 12 yo and spinning disk, running it 24/7)

*EDIT: Anyways, I would keep using it for at least a year. "they" claim HDD's should usually last between 3-4 years. (and all my disks are well past that and still very happy)

Edited by Jahee
See *EDIT: section.