RM 750i + Pigtail PCIe + 3080ti= fire hazard?

CBojorges

So I thought I finished upgrading my pc by getting an EVGA (F) 3080Ti XC3, until I got second thoughts by watching this Jay's two cents video about power delivery to gpus. I was using the pigtail connector as in the attached picture. Also I'm doing mining with it while I'm not gaming, although for that purpose, I set a temperature limit to 70°, since I want the graphics card to last. Just for me to be aware... Was it a fire hazard? I already plugged the second PCIe 8 pin connector, since doing some googling made me aware that Nvidia recommends doing so for 30 series +. Since I've already made this post, is my PSU enough for my PC? 

Specs:

Corsair RM750i

EVGA 3080Ti XC3 

Ryzen 5600x

IMG_20220924_123007.jpg

12 minutes ago, CBojorges said:

Since I've already made this post, is my PSU enough for my PC? 

Is it working? Then yes.

Pig-Tail is not a hazard on Corsair cables + PSUs, because Corsair over-engineers them compared to some competion that does too much cost saving measures xD

3 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Pig-Tail is not a hazard on Corsair cables + PSUs, because Corsair over-engineers them compared to some competion that does too much cost saving measures xD

That's what I thought, but Jay said that older power supplies with the pig tail might have been designed at a time of less power hungry graphics card, which I think makes sense. I guess that's why Nvidia recommends not doing what I was doing. 

When I built my fist PC, I chose the corsair cx750. Latter I learned here that those were actually known to catch on fire, so I inmediatly switched it to the RM. That's why I'm so paranoid about fire hazards. 

H210? Had that case at one point and i couldn't switch it out quick enough. GPU's just can't get enough airflow and I only had a 2080 Super at the time. Limits you to two slot design cards too which are inherently not great for powerful cards like a 3080Ti. 

11 hours ago, CBojorges said:

but Jay said that older power supplies with the pig tail might have been designed at a time of less power hungry graphics card,

They were by Seasonic, and Superflower and the like. However Corsair have been over-engineered so they don't count.

11 hours ago, CBojorges said:

That's why I'm so paranoid about fire hazards. 

Corsair add-on 12+4 pin cables don't have any of the potential fire hazards as they don't use a 12+4 pin cable on the PSU + Corsair uses HCS terminals = 100 plug in-plug out cycles (which is the minimal number, not maximum).

Generally, the 30 plug in plug out metric is blown out of proportions. But It is however a problem with small SFX cases for the GPU side as well, cause the new cards are too big, and  there's more chance of very tight cable turns hitting into the side panel of small cases.

https://cultists.network/9139/no-12vhpwr-doesnt-have-a-low-rating/

https://cultists.network/8815/melting-12vhpwr-connectors/