CAD / CAM upgrade for 1000 EUR - no gaming

elmanificodidw

Budget (including currency): 1000 EUR max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CAD - mainly Fusion 360. No rendering, no streaming and no games. I mean, there are some old titles I still replay sometimes, but gaming isn't really a priority.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Hey guys! I have been playing around with CAD software since forever and I have gotten to a point where my projects are getting kinda heavy for my old PC. I have an AMD A10-6800K CPU, an FM288X extreme 6+ motherboard with 8 gigs of RAM. Basically I want to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and RAM since the case, monitor, SSDs and peripherals will be reused.

I thought about this build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€498.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler  (€46.03 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€280.95 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€110.35 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €935.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-19 18:56 CEST+0200

Considerations:

• I looked around the forum and my understanding is that some programs perform better with CPU that have lots of cores / threads, some prefer CPUs with better single threaded performance. But I have no idea how my programs behave, so what would the recommendation be for Fusion 360?
  • I also don't know if I should buy a GPU or an APU, is a GPU always a better idea or is an APU enough for CAD?
  • I also don't know about my 400W BeQuiet PSU, should I upgrade it? I'm pretty sure adding a GPU means I should.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I chose the 12700K because I hoped I could do without a GPU. If I choose the 12700F it is my understanding that I need a GPU, right? Since the cheapest GeForce RTX 2060 I can find is around 300EUR would that be better?

I really just use Fusion 360

New list:

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/WnB2Bj

35 minutes ago, elmanificodidw said:

I thought about this build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€498.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler  (€46.03 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€280.95 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€110.35 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €935.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-19 18:56 CEST+0200

Consider waiting to read the 7600X reviews in a few weeks. It has a max turbo of 5.3GHz which should mean better performance in this use case.

Comments on the quoted build:

Consider using the i7-12700 as you won't be overclocking.

A more powerful CPU cooler should offer better performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 minutes ago, elmanificodidw said:

Yeah, I chose the 12700K because I hoped I could do without a GPU. If I choose the 12700F it is my understanding that I need a GPU, right? Since the cheapest GeForce RTX 2060 I can find is around 300EUR would that be better?

I really just use Fusion 360

New list:

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/WnB2Bj

What the hell link is that? It just redirects to this thread

1 hour ago, brob said:

Consider waiting to read the 7600X reviews in a few weeks. It has a max turbo of 5.3GHz which should mean better performance in this use case.

Comments on the quoted build:

Consider using the i7-12700 as you won't be overclocking.

A more powerful CPU cooler should offer better performance.

So you would suggest the i7-12700 without a dedicated GPU? The F is cheaper but of course I would need one.

Thx for the tip, I could wait since I'm not in a hurry.
How does one measure cooler performance? Would you give an example of a better cooler please?

1 hour ago, that_dude said:

Post it here as list? pcpcartpicker has stupid captchas.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/WnB2Bj

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€389.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  (€49.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 DS3H DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€150.22 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€98.08 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card  (€294.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €982.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-19 21:37 CEST+0200

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What the hell link is that? It just redirects to this thread

I have absolutely no idea, tried BB code for the first time, apparently I'm not very good at it.

30 minutes ago, elmanificodidw said:

So you would suggest the i7-12700 without a dedicated GPU? The F is cheaper but of course I would need one.

Thx for the tip, I could wait since I'm not in a hurry.
How does one measure cooler performance? Would you give an example of a better cooler please?

I would suggest waiting to evaluate the 7600X. (It has an iGPU.)

A discrete GPU would be better. But it is something that could be added later. 

My comment regarding the i7 related just to the posted build. The i7-12700 makes more sense on a B660 motherboard.

Deepcool AK500.

48 minutes ago, brob said:

My comment regarding the i7 related just to the posted build. The i7-12700 makes more sense on a B660 motherboard.

Deepcool AK500.

I second that. Especially with 20 series not being the best bang-for-your-buck option right now. Go with the 12700 by itself and if it is not quite the desirable experience, just order the gpu after the fact. Could save you some money and you may be just happy with the APU. Gpu's can be an after-thought in such an application. The entire computer doesn't have to built at once.

Also don't compare cpu's by GHZ outside of the same family. Like the 12700 and 7600x. It is not comparable in this way. Both would be good buys, but only one is available currently.

6 hours ago, that_dude said:

Check if pudget systems released some numbers.

My instinct tells me a newer GPU might be faster due to higher memory speeds (e.g. RTX3050).

Does this support 12th gen? This cooler is old so you might need a new mounting kit, if such an upgrade even is sold for this cooler. So maybe swap this for the sycthe fuma 2 (by now all of them should have the lga1700 compability).

I'm pretty sure a newer GPU would be faster, the only problem is the budget... It's in the 350-400 range on Amazon.it

9 hours ago, brob said:

Deepcool AK500.

If waiting for the 7600X wasn't an option, would this motherboard and CPU combination be a good choice since I won't be overclocking?

Do we even have AM5 motherboards currently?

7 hours ago, elmanificodidw said:

If waiting for the 7600X wasn't an option, would this motherboard and CPU combination be a good choice since I won't be overclocking?

An i7-12700K paired with any B660 motherboard is a bad choice. Use an i7-12700 with a B660 motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, brob said:

An i7-12700K paired with any B660 motherboard is a bad choice. Use an i7-12700 with a B660 motherboard.

Thx for your insight. Why is that? I chose this motherboard kinda at random - saw that it has enough usb ports and that was it.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:15 AM, that_dude said:

Check other places.

Amazon has a horrific search and often not price competitive (for some items like SSD they are but for others don't even boughter to check amazon).

I'll look around.

For now I thought about this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sVWq78

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€287.70
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (€63.76
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€92.27
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory  (€103.47
Total: €547.20
This list prices come from an internet shop I have used sometimes. I realise it's a downgrade from the previous list but it would allow me to choose a ~500 GPU (any recommendations btw?) If I add a MSI 3060 It-s around that price (492)

Oh, and what's the opinion now that the new AMD CPUs are on the market?

6 hours ago, elmanificodidw said:

Thx for your insight. Why is that? I chose this motherboard kinda at random - saw that it has enough usb ports and that was it.

The i7-12700K is an unlocked CPU. Meaning that it can be overclocked when paired with a Z690 motherboard. B660 motherboards do not support CPU overclocking. The i7-12700(F) is the locked version of the CPU and pairs well with a B660 motherboard. It can run cooler than the unlocked version and can have performance close to the unlocked version.

6 hours ago, elmanificodidw said:

For now I thought about this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sVWq78

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€287.70
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (€63.76
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€92.27
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory  (€103.47
Total: €547.20
This list prices come from an internet shop I have used sometimes. I realise it's a downgrade from the previous list but it would allow me to choose a ~500 GPU (any recommendations btw?) If I add a MSI 3060 It-s around that price (492)

Fusion 360 non-rendering work would derive no advantage from a better GPU. The application is mostly single threaded so does better with CPU that have higher performance cores, rather than one with more cores. 

The 5600X would likely provide similar performance in this use case. You might also consider the i5-12600. It has higher single core performance.

The memory is a poor choice. Find a DDR4-3200 CL16 kit.

Consider a less expensive CPU cooler. The stock cooler will do a decent job. But if you want something a little quieter the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2, or Noctua NH-U12S Redux are all good choices.

thanks @brob for your help.
Considering all of the above I decided to spend less than my budget, ditch the GPU and go with this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/pL9gpH

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€275.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€29.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€117.90 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€98.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €520.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-30 08:36 CEST+0200