Network card stops working when something is downloading at full speed

blackhawkpr
Go to solution Solved by blackhawkpr,

After a lot of Googling a few days ago, one person recommended disabling Recv Segment Coalescing (IPV4) and (IPV6) in the network adapter properties under the Advanced tab. So far no more network drops.

This one has me stumped.

It doesn't happen every time, but occasionally when downloading something that completely saturates my internet connection (1.2gbps/35mbps from Comcast) my network connection just stops working. It's as if the internet ghosted and the PC didn't realize it until it later timed out. The only way to fix it is by disabling and enabling the network card and everything works fine for a few hours. I'm usually not downloading at full bore all the time. Mostly occurs during speed tests and game downloads which can sustain full speed saturation.

It's been stumping me because it's been happening for a few months now and I've already changed the NIC, cable and upgraded the router/modem from Comcast. I've also done a fresh installation of Windows 11 a few times since then.

I've checked Event Viewer and there's no relevant events at the time of the network drop.

ASUS XG-C100C (negotiates at 2500/2500) connected to Xfinity's new XB8 gateway.

Any ideas from troubleshooting is appreciated.

1 hour ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Did you change the NIC with an exactly same card?

It kinda sounds like an overloaded controller that's being used harder for a moment than what it can handle, so if you're swapping between two of the same from the same manufacturer and everything, i think its possible that they just cheaped out and used a controller that wasnt rated for these speeds.

Im not entirely sure though

They're from different manufacturers. The first one had the Realtek RTL8125-CG chipset and the second one has a Aquantia AQC107.

31 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Huh. Hmm. 

Maybe something's up with the PCI-E slot? Do the cards require power from the PSU, or are they just fine with the 75 watts they get from the slot? Maybe they are crashing because of power issues? Heat?

Maybe motherboard power delivery for that slot crapped the bed? I have no clue how one would test that, but im just spitballing here

So the first card used a 1x PCIe slot and the newer one uses a 4x PCIe slot. Different slots.

I don't think it's overheating cause it could crap out when I try downloading a game at the beginning of the day, but when I disable and enable the NIC it'll work fine for hours afterwards at full speed.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:10 AM, blackhawkpr said:

ASUS XG-C100C (negotiates at 2500/2500) connected to Xfinity's new XB8 gateway.

Any ideas from troubleshooting is appreciated.

Have you checked you have the latest firmware? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045619/

These cards are known to have issues on early firmware.  Both of mine are updated and have been rock-solid stable and one is my daily driver while the other my gaming PC, so both get heavy use.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

23 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you checked you have the latest firmware? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045619/

These cards are known to have issues on early firmware.  Both of mine are updated and have been rock-solid stable and one is my daily driver while the other my gaming PC, so both get heavy use.

Those firmwares listed on Asus' and Marvell's websites don't work with my card since it's a v2 revision. From my googling, there's no updated firmwares for it.

1 hour ago, blackhawkpr said:

Those firmwares listed on Asus' and Marvell's websites don't work with my card since it's a v2 revision. From my googling, there's no updated firmwares for it.

That's frustrating, I wonder if they are using a completely different manufacturers chip?  Does the firmware util at least confirm its still the Marvell/Aquantia chipset?

It seems a minefield with NBASE-T cards, as you're only doing 2.5Gbit anyway I'd usually recommend the Intel 225 B3 revision, but some people even have problems with that, although its a lot cheaper at least.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of Googling a few days ago, one person recommended disabling Recv Segment Coalescing (IPV4) and (IPV6) in the network adapter properties under the Advanced tab. So far no more network drops.