Home networking

Nicolai Mortensen
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Basically any router will work here. Just plug the network into the wn port, and your stuff into the lan port.

Yea that will isolote your devices. But I don't see a big issue with it not being isolated, its not much of a security issue.

You can use different dns on your router. You can also set a different dns without adding a router.

Hello everyone,

First of, let me apologise fornthe bad formatting. I'm using a phone due to lack of proper networking. 

I've just signed for a new apartment, where the Internet is a shared gigabit between the landlord, the other apartment and myself. Everything is connected through wifi, but I'm not keen on the idea of putting my devices on a shared network like that. The landlord has agreed to pull a cable through to my unit, which I'm planning to use for a network of my own.

That raise the question of how. I've been told I can use a router and create a new local metwork, but I haven't been told more than that. My questions is

• What kind of router would I need to buy?
  • How should it be set up?
  • Would it isolate my devices from the rest of the network?
  • Would I be able to use a different dns than the rest of the network? 

Again, i do apologise for the bad format, and in advance thank you for any help.

Basically any router will work here. Just plug the network into the wn port, and your stuff into the lan port.

Yea that will isolote your devices. But I don't see a big issue with it not being isolated, its not much of a security issue.

You can use different dns on your router. You can also set a different dns without adding a router.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the feedback.

Is there any special setup concerns I need to have in mind? Ie giving my own network a different ip range or such?

1 hour ago, Nicolai Mortensen said:

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the feedback.

Is there any special setup concerns I need to have in mind? Ie giving my own network a different ip range or such?

Yea you probably want a different ip range than the current lan network. But this should be pretty plug and play.