Looking for a WiFi 6-capable dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) with SFP port at a $100 max budget

FIXXX

My ISP's router is a rather weak in terms of WIFI propagation (Innbox F60) and the installer suggest I find myself something better.

Specifically need an SPF port since that's what they brought to the home and I cannot find a Bridge mode setting anywhere in its' UI. And yes, I am using an administrator user to access it.

What I'd like is:

- SFP port (preferably not SFP+ since I've heard there may be an issue of interconnectivity)

- Gigabit capable on all ports

- Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

- Supports WiFi 6

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

31 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

My ISP's router is a rather weak in terms of WIFI propagation (Innbox F60) and the installer suggest I find myself something better.

Specifically need an SPF port since that's what they brought to the home and I cannot find a Bridge mode setting anywhere in its' UI. And yes, I am using an administrator user to access it.

What I'd like is:

- SFP port (preferably not SFP+ since I've heard there may be an issue of interconnectivity)

- Gigabit capable on all ports

- Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

- Supports WiFi 6

The only real chance of using a low-end router is to get an SFP to Ethernet media converter and plug that into your router of choice.  Be aware though that if this is a Gigabit connection, finding a router able to handle that comfortably may be tricky in that price range, routers costing three times that can struggle.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The only real chance of using a low-end router is to get an SFP to Ethernet media converter and plug that into your router of choice.  Be aware though that if this is a Gigabit connection, finding a router able to handle that comfortably may be tricky in that price range, routers costing three times that can struggle.

Might just have to wait since the market of WiFi 6 routers is nowhere near the saturation point 😞

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

1 minute ago, FIXXX said:

Might just have to wait since the market of WiFi 6 routers is nowhere near the saturation point 😞

Its unfortunate that fibre isn't being rolled out more widely using SFP ONTs, it means the market for a router with an SFP port is tiny.

That said, if the only problem you have is WiFi coverage, just adding a good WiFi Access Point to your network and turning off WiFi on the router will do the job better than any router anyway.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its unfortunate that fibre isn't being rolled out more widely using SFP ONTs, it means the market for a router with an SFP port is tiny.

That said, if the only problem you have is WiFi coverage, just adding a good WiFi Access Point to your network and turning off WiFi on the router will do the job better than any router anyway.

I agree with Alex, use the provided ISP Modem\Router, disable the wifi feature and get an Wifi6 Access Point.  You can find them for <$100 depending on where you live.

50 minutes ago, Allan B said:

I agree with Alex, use the provided ISP Modem\Router, disable the wifi feature and get an Wifi6 Access Point.  You can find them for <$100 depending on where you live.

Any suggestions of Wifi 6 APs floating around the forum? Haven't researched this subject … ever.

Depends where you are, your profile says "Moldova", if that is where you live, you probably have very few sub $100US Wifi6 Access points.  There are a few TP Link devices that are less then $100 Canadian (I live in Canada)..    Your best bet is to see what you can get in your country that is in your price range.  Then do the research the models or ask in the forum here listing your options.  We won't do all the work for you 🙂

16 minutes ago, Allan B said:

Depends where you are, your profile says "Moldova", if that is where you live, you probably have very few sub $100US Wifi6 Access points.  There are a few TP Link devices that are less then $100 Canadian (I live in Canada)..    Your best bet is to see what you can get in your country that is in your price range.  Then do the research the models or ask in the forum here listing your options.  We won't do all the work for you 🙂

The Wifi6 ones over here are only a few in number and are definitely twice as expensive. Wanted to have a solid recommendation and push off from that by cross-referencing specs.

You can also get any Wifi6 router and turn it into an AP, even if it doesn’t have an AP mode. You just disable the DHCP server (I have never seen a router where that wasn’t an option), change its LAN IP to something in the main router’s subnet, and only use the LAN ports for connections - even to your now-wired-only router.

Are you asking for “models that are available in the US for <100USD”, or “models available in Moldova for <100USD”?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

You can also get any Wifi6 router and turn it into an AP, even if it doesn’t have an AP mode. You just disable the DHCP server (I have never seen a router where that wasn’t an option), change its LAN IP to something in the main router’s subnet, and only use the LAN ports for connections - even to your now-wired-only router.

You have to be careful when doing that though, as a modern router can have things like Router Advertisements, uPNP, other things that broadcast over the LAN other than DHCP that can conflict with your main router if you do not disable them.  I also trust an AP to have better hardware and software, as its dedicated to WiFi alone rather than the cost reduction of a router where it does everything.