Iris XE graphics with adobe premiere?

TylarJ

I have a friend who is looking to do some editing of photos and videos for their side business. We are looking at potential options for a laptop but we can seem to decide if iris XE graphics is enough or if we need to get a dedicated gpu. Thanks in advance. For reference the laptop we are looking at is the 15-ew0023dx from HP. 

The answer to that question depends on what you are doing.

Editing 4K video? How much time do you have to do the job?

You can make a 4K video with Iris XE, it will just take a long time to do, or you might as well just use CPU rendering, as I don't know that Premiere supports Xe to do "GPU Rendering", so with CPU rendering, once you make the project, how many hours do you have available to let it render and not really use the machine? 

If you don't want to waste that time, you want a dedicated GPU and you want to have GPU Rendering enabled. Turn a several hour render into 20 minutes. It is that kind of difference.

A lot will depend on what you want to accomplish, but seriously, you will only be wasting time if you need to take an hour+ rendering a 30 minute video.

I can render an hour plus 4K video in 15 minutes, with Premiere and a 3080 Ti. 

3 hours ago, NovaNightmare said:

I can render an hour plus 4K video in 15 minutes, with Premiere and a 3080 Ti.

I can render a 1080p60 video at ~0.9 video minutes per real life minute on my 2060 lol. I have tried running my editing software (Shotcut) on my laptop that has an Intel Core i7 10710U and it kept hanging up on me as soon as I tried to scroll through, I don't know why that is

17 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

I can render a 1080p60 video at ~0.9 video minutes per real life minute on my 2060 lol. I have tried running my editing software (Shotcut) on my laptop that has an Intel Core i7 10710U and it kept hanging up on me as soon as I tried to scroll through, I don't know why that is

Suspect it is more likely a memory bottleneck, but with a 2060, if you are doing GPU rendering it shouldn't be that bad. Perhaps do a fresh install?

19 hours ago, NovaNightmare said:

Suspect it is more likely a memory bottleneck, but with a 2060, if you are doing GPU rendering it shouldn't be that bad. Perhaps do a fresh install?

In the system with the 2060 6GB there are 48GB of RAM, definetely not a RAM bottleneck. I just rendered out another video on my gaming laptop with a GTX 1660Ti 6GB and the ~1h video took like 15-20 minutes. Might be because I rendered it to my HDD on my PC

Edit: It indeed has to do with the fact that I'm exporting to a HDD. My gaming laptop with a 1660Ti renders videos at like 4 minutes per minute, it's incredible how much of a difference that makes

Edited by DreamCat04

My wife works with adobe premiere and her laptop have intel iris xe. She also play some games with it.