Suddenly cant use more than 2 sticks of ram

Gauzl
Go to solution Solved by Gauzl,

Appears something caused the RAM to set itself to 4000MHz. Changing the speed back to 3600MHz has fixed it but I don't know why this happened in the first place.

I have been using my current set up for over a year.

CPU - 5800X

MOBO - ROG X570-F

RAM - 4x 8GB G.skill Trident DDR4-4000 (Each stick running at 3600)

All of a sudden while playing Anno 1800, I get a blue screen and my computer failed to give a video signal afterwards, confirmed it was a RAM error due to the LED on the motherboard. After trying each stick I confirmed they all work but I can only have 2 sticks in at a time. The computer fails to boot if I have more than 2 in. Drivers are up to date and in BIOS DOCP is on and each stick is clocked at 3600. Any ideas?

Appears something caused the RAM to set itself to 4000MHz. Changing the speed back to 3600MHz has fixed it but I don't know why this happened in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

I have been using my current set up for over a year.

CPU - 5800X

MOBO - ROG X570-F

RAM - 4x 8GB G.skill Trident DDR4-4000 (Each stick running at 3600)

All of a sudden while playing Anno 1800, I get a blue screen and my computer failed to give a video signal afterwards, confirmed it was a RAM error due to the LED on the motherboard. After trying each stick I confirmed they all work but I can only have 2 sticks in at a time. The computer fails to boot if I have more than 2 in. Drivers are up to date and in BIOS DOCP is on and each stick is clocked at 3600. Any ideas?

there is a chance for one or two of your slots or a whole topology to be fried. or maybe the memory controller on your 5800x is weak.

I had boot loops when i put 4x8 Crucial ballistix then they defaulted back to 2666 afterwards i found out that my BIOS needed to be updated and tinkered with and since then everything has worked fine.

I would check the bios, sometimes Asus motherboards would require a manual set of the 4 primary timings.

I would also check what kind of error it gave me for the blue screen

Just a thought, but after my experience with peek-a-boo RAM issues on a 5900X on a Tuf B550-PLUS and a B450M-HDV, anything's possible...

Might want to check your RAM SKU against the board's QVL list... link below. If it's not there, the board may not like it, even if it managed to go a year before acting up.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570_0423.pdf

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!