Civ5 game instability on win11? And other win11 pains

Lennart van de Merwe

So I updated my HP x360 envy (R7 4700u integrated w/ 16 gbs ram) to windows 11 and up until now have regretted it ever since.
To make a list of my earlier problems real quick:

- bluetooth died for a while until the driver finally became frens with win11
- wifi connectivity has been incredibly painful. It experiences "connected, no internet" a lot, even though my phone (even with mobile data disabled) has wifi just fine. That's besides the fact that win11 isn't great friends with those wacky login sequences you get at big organisation wifi (I don't really know how to describe it).
- windows hello just dies every once in a while meaning my fingerprint scanner is just for aesthetics 
- office apps like word sometimes refuse to boot (my desktop running win10 doesn't have this problem), by this I mean that you get the starting logo, but after that disappears it just hasn't done anything and task manager doesn't show it running.
- tablet mode detection sometimes happens when in laptop mode 
- and the most recent of all: Civ5 crashing after a few dozen turns, and not just crashing, but crashing so bad that I have to reboot the entire laptop once or twice. Weird thing is, before the crashes started happening I had around 30 hours of civ on this laptop running on win11 without any problems whatsoever. Heavier games like hoi4 also run stable (though not with more than slide show performance after 1942, but that's the laptop's fault).

So I haven't had any of these problems running windows 10 on this laptop, so I can only suspect windows 11 is behind it. I'm curious what your experiences are with windows 11, and whether I should start screeching harder or just wait patiently until the next patch drops (or go back to windows 10 perhaps).

In my opinion, windows 11's only selling point is ui that looks a little better overall, with some niche features like auto hdr, and optimisation for intel 12th gen. The rest of it is just windows10 but with worse compatibility for older hardware. For me, win11 got me for its asthetics (yeah I know) and its been mostly a smooth experience, especially on my desktop newly built.

However, things are less nice for my new laptop. Like what you had, I often have the wifi "connected, no internet". Its just frustrating being forced to fight with the wifi panel for a min before actually surfing on the internet. For contrast, My desktop can connect to wifi in an instant so smooth. So, I would have to suspect that this is some sort of win11 incompatibility when it comes to different WNIC solutions.

And then in my own thread you can see how my latop's SSD powers on 2700 times in 36 hrs of use. Way to go Macrohard.

All I can say is, Microsoft is just what it is, a company with great products that just cant help pinching your arse when you actually use it, who just never manages to do thing right first try. The even sadder part is, what else can you do other than waiting for macrohard to grant you the solutions and fixes? What, go and use Macs (or Linux)? NOT FOR ME.