Phone Recommendations

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
5 hours ago, Trigger444 said:

but the tensor's kinda on weaker ends right? how does it work out on games? say....genshin on all highs? 

It's straddling that line between mid-range and high-end. Not as powerful as a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, certainly, but it's not going to struggle like some mid-range chips. From what I've seen, you can't expect to run Genshin at full detail... but then again, that game can struggle on anything other than a recent iPhone. The main thing is that the Pixel 6 always feels fast in general use.

I'd like to see what the Pixel 7's second-gen Tensor can do... is it a clear step forward, or just last year's chip with a few tweaks?

One update: I just got the most recent monthly Android 12 update (Android 13 is technically available, but hasn't hit my phone yet) and the fingerprint reader seems much better. I'll give it a few days to see how it works, but so far it's good enough that I want to retract my earlier hesitancy!

So I'm thinking on graduating from my Huawei Mate 10, but we're in a really tight period for smartphone processors with the 8 gen 1 being able to cook your breakfast and the 8+ gen 1 coming out on newer phones that are coming out in a few weeks or months span. I've been eyeing on the OnePlus 10t, but well, after a few review checks and Linus' OnePlus video, I'm having second thoughts.... So here we are, anybody have recommendations for phones running on good specs (camera is not important at all) for like below $675? 

47 minutes ago, Trigger444 said:

So I'm thinking on graduating from my Huawei Mate 10, but we're in a really tight period for smartphone processors with the 8 gen 1 being able to cook your breakfast and the 8+ gen 1 coming out on newer phones that are coming out in a few weeks or months span. I've been eyeing on the OnePlus 10t, but well, after a few review checks and Linus' OnePlus video, I'm having second thoughts.... So here we are, anybody have recommendations for phones running on good specs (camera is not important at all) for like below $675?  

My Moto g100 is rocking an 870 5G which I have yet to see slow down, great battery life, nice screen, good camera (bad processing, but pro mode fixes that) has ReadyFor

(dex-like software that works really well) and you can find it on sale for about 450-500, sometimes lower. Doesn't have mmwave enabled, but mmwave is still in its infancy so I genuinely don't care. Does 6k video, 64mp with quad pixel for better low light performance (pro mode is better), not OLED, can do dp 1.4 from bottom type c port. 

Disclaimer: is not going past android 12, but will continue to get security updates. Would recommend holding for edge pro coming to US around September.

3 hours ago, Trigger444 said:

Google Pixel 6, or the Pixel 7 when it arrives this fall? The fingerprint reader on my 6 is so-so, but the phone is speedy, boasts a good display and has healthy battery life once the software has had time to learn your habits. I'd just be sure to get the 256GB model if possible, since 128GB can be pretty limiting for an enthusiast.

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

Google Pixel 6, or the Pixel 7 when it arrives this fall? The fingerprint reader on my 6 is so-so, but the phone is speedy, boasts a good display and has healthy battery life once the software has had time to learn your habits. I'd just be sure to get the 256GB model if possible, since 128GB can be pretty limiting for an enthusiast.

but the tensor's kinda on weaker ends right? how does it work out on games? say....genshin on all highs? 

5 hours ago, Trigger444 said:

It's straddling that line between mid-range and high-end. Not as powerful as a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, certainly, but it's not going to struggle like some mid-range chips. From what I've seen, you can't expect to run Genshin at full detail... but then again, that game can struggle on anything other than a recent iPhone. The main thing is that the Pixel 6 always feels fast in general use.

I'd like to see what the Pixel 7's second-gen Tensor can do... is it a clear step forward, or just last year's chip with a few tweaks?

One update: I just got the most recent monthly Android 12 update (Android 13 is technically available, but hasn't hit my phone yet) and the fingerprint reader seems much better. I'll give it a few days to see how it works, but so far it's good enough that I want to retract my earlier hesitancy!