Allocating Ram Question?

paulyron

Someone suggested this to me.  Thoughts on this and do most people do this?  If it matters my default seem to be around 4864mb or so as default and this person said you should make it 80000mb because I have 32gb ram.  That person tell me they do this with every computer of theirs.  Do I make it 80000mb and see if it make a difference?  They said because my laptop crashes a lot, this could maybe fix it or this has nothing to do with it?

Go into: My Computer/Advanced System Properties

Click on the "Advanced" Tab

In the "Performance" box, click on "Settings"

In the "Perfomance Options" window click on the "Advanced" Tab.

In the "Virtual Memory" box click on the "Change" button to set a custom size for your virtual memory.

Click on "Custom Size"

Set both the "Initial Size" and the "Maximum Size" to an amount about 2.5 times the size of your RAM. So if you have 16 GB of RAM, enter 40000 MB in both windows or if you have 32 GB of RAM in your laptop you can set them both to 80000 MB.

I do this on all my Windows computers because I am running so many programs at one time that I want to make sure my PC doesn't slow down if the swap file size is too small...so I always set the swap file size to a much bigger size than Windows recommends.

It is not allocating ram, it is changing the size of pagefile. Leave it at automatic, if your computer is running slow and you got 32G of ram, your issue is something else.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Okay so you say don't bother changing anything here?  My issue here is i play online poker and my laptop crashes a lot.  I get black screen for few seconds and the bottom task bar disappears for minutes.  Then it later comes back minutes later.

So does making these changes as that person suggest... is there any harm in it?  Could it make things worst?  Or maybe it might improve?

7 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Okay so you say don't bother changing anything here?  My issue here is i play online poker and my laptop crashes a lot.  I get black screen for few seconds and the bottom task bar disappears for minutes.  Then it later comes back minutes later.

So does making these changes as that person suggest... is there any harm in it?  Could it make things worst?  Or maybe it might improve?

It won’t improve it.

have you checked the temps of your laptop? Considered decluttering it from software you don’t need anymore?

what are your specs?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

How do i check my laptop temperature?  Never done that.  But I do notice it does get hot though but its on table all the time.

What do you mean declutter it from software i don't use anymore?

Old xps 15 9550

i5-6300hq

1tb nvme ssd

32gb ram

intel hd graphics 530 

nvidia geforce gtx 960m

There is however lot of dust on the keyboard and its been there for a long time.  The reason is because where im located, its very humid so i believe that might have caused it even though its used inside with 2 external monitors.