Need advice for plex server

Moldorm5

Hello,
I have an Nvidia shield with a 8to drive plugged in and Plex running. I'm running out of space and so I am looking to build my own server. I want to have some kind of protection, just in case one of my drives fails (I know that the only true protection is backup + ups, but I am really on a tight budget and I just want to have at least some protection, my data isn't that important, it's just time-consuming to download 8To of files again). I read about raid 1/5/10, I also heard that unraid have some settings for data protection, and I am not sure what configuration would be the best for my case. That's why I am posting here, hoping someone more experienced than me can give me some adviceThank you ahead for taking the time to read this message and maybe taking the time to answer me :D.

7 hours ago, Moldorm5 said:

Hello,
I have an Nvidia shield with a 8to drive plugged in and Plex running. I'm running out of space and so I am looking to build my own server. I want to have some kind of protection, just in case one of my drives fails (I know that the only true protection is backup + ups, but I am really on a tight budget and I just want to have at least some protection, my data isn't that important, it's just time-consuming to download 8To of files again). I read about raid 1/5/10, I also heard that unraid have some settings for data protection, and I am not sure what configuration would be the best for my case. That's why I am posting here, hoping someone more experienced than me can give me some adviceThank you ahead for taking the time to read this message and maybe taking the time to answer me :D.

Unraid does offer lots of flexibility as it isn’t actually RAID, but for most home users this is worth the trade off. But, we can’t just tell you exactly what makes sense for you, you sort of have to figure that out on your own… mainly need to identify what your budget is, and what you want out of the nas/server. 

If you have an old PC laying around, it’ll work, if not you will need to either build something new or find a used PC - this type of machine can be literally anything made within the last decade. Then you just need harddrives, and how many discs worth of redundancy is up to you. The general recommendation is single disc redundancy is no longer “viable” since the likelihood of losing a second disc while your rebuilding one that already died is actually very much a non 0% chance. Thus, dedicating two drives to parity may be worth it, depending on budget and your tolerance for data loss/down time. 

Id suggest reading some unraid threads and how to’s, and watch some YouTube videos. There is lots and lots of info out there, need to just start digging into it and then asking questions where you get confused or have questions. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Unraid works really well for plex, it does support GPU transcoding (you do need plex pass for this feature) and using Ram to transcode rather then the drives. Unraid's method of storing data is much more flexible than RAID or using something like trueNas. It is very easy to add additional drives one at a time or to swap out a failing drive You can figure it with either 1 or 2 parity drives and cache drives to speed up transfers. Dockers can be set to only use the cache, this works great with Plex since it will store all of the thumbnails and databases on the SSD rather then the Array and makes a big difference in loading time. It's worth checking out Byte my Bits and Space Invader on youtube, they both have great content on setting up unraid and configuring Plex.