Games keep crashing computer HELP

SneakySquid9

I built my new pc around the start of June and never had any problems until the last two weeks. Every game I would play would crash after 20-30 minutes of playing. Sometimes it would close the program and sometimes it would just restart the whole computer. I haven't overclocked any component of my pc yet but I did find out that I wasn't supposed to run my 3070ti off of one split daisy chain (connected to an 850w power supply) and fixed it immediately with 2 daisy chain 8 pin pcie daisy chain connectors. However, the problem is still there and my games would either freeze for a split second and crash or turn red black and blue and restart my whole computer. Does anyone know what's going on? Please help

These are my specs: 12900k, 32gb DDR4 3200 C16, Asus Strix Z690-A, Gigabyte 3070ti vision oc, Corsair rm850 psu

Capture.PNG

That looks a lot like what my dad's HiSense TV did when the motherboard failed.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

That looks a lot like what my dad's HiSense TV did when the motherboard failed.

is there any way I can test to see which part that's causing it to fail? I've downloaded all the latest drivers and everything. This only happens when I play a game though. Average daily tasks run fine. I did run a gpu benchmark on 3D Mark last night and everything seemed fine (idk if that means anything).

You might try a different display, if the problem persists that way, it might point to GPU or even RAM. Long story short, my 5900X build is awaiting reassembly because the RAM I used was not on the board manufacturer's QVL list. In the interim of an RMA presuming the board was the issue, the DIMMs (which teswted fine in the 5900X's Asus TUF B550-PLUS board, have failed in an ASRock B450M-HDV. Main symptoms were audio and audio / video cutout. One DIMM wouldn't even POST. The other failed today. Installed new RAM from ASRock's QVL list, and voila, it runs beautiful, which is a relief because I was concerned the GPU might be faulty. So you might also check the manufacturer's RAM QVL list for your board. Lots of people say RAM is RAM is RAM, and I'm here to tell you that isn't always true. Might not be your issue, but it's worth looking at.

ADDED: And with RAM, you have to get very specific to the SKU / part #, not just the speed, timings and voltage.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

You might try a different display, if the problem persists that way, it might point to GPU or even RAM. Long story short, my 5900X build is awaiting reassembly because the RAM I used was not on the board manufacturer's QVL list. In the interim of an RMA presuming the board was the issue, the DIMMs (which teswted fine in the 5900X's Asus TUF B550-PLUS board, have failed in an ASRock B450M-HDV. Main symptoms were audio and audio / video cutout. One DIMM wouldn't even POST. The other failed today. Installed new RAM from ASRock's QVL list, and voila, it runs beautiful, which is a relief because I was concerned the GPU might be faulty. So you might also check the manufacturer's RAM QVL list for your board. Lots of people say RAM is RAM is RAM, and I'm here to tell you that isn't always true. Might not be your issue, but it's worth looking at.

ADDED: And with RAM, you have to get very specific to the SKU / part #, not just the speed, timings and voltage.

hmm I'll definitely look into my ram. Although I do doubt the monitor is the problem since it can't force my computer to restart during a game right?

12 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

do you know where I can find the QVL list? I've tried looking on the Asus website but so far nothing

3 minutes ago, SneakySquid9 said:

hmm I'll definitely look into my ram. Although I do doubt the monitor is the problem since it can't force my computer to restart during a game right?

Yeah, that sounds more like RAM to me. Possible GPU issue. Thermals okay?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah, that sounds more like RAM to me. Possible GPU issue. Thermals okay?

Idle my cpu is around 29-33c and gpu is in the 40c range. In game for more cpu intensive ones my cpu ranges around 45-55c and gpu is 60-70c so nothing too alarming there. Here's my 3dmark results with temps and everything if it helps: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/78462528

Also can you let me know where you found the QVL list for your motherboard? Mine is the Asus Strix Z690-A but I can't seem to find it

13 minutes ago, SneakySquid9 said:

do you know where I can find the QVL list? I've tried looking on the Asus website but so far nothing

I didn't narrow down the exact list. Gotta get specific with your board's complete model, but here are some different versions I found...

https://www.asus.com/us/searchresult?searchType=products&searchKey=Asus Strix Z690-A&page=1

Click the one you have. When that page loads, you'll see line to upper right that says "Features - Tech Specs - Awards - Gallery  - Where To Buy - Support".

Click "Support". When THAT page loads, click "CPU / Memory Support" tab. From there you'll have options for processors, RAM speeds, timings, etc. But there will also be a search bar in which you can type your RAM's SKU / part # to seek it out specifically. If it returns "No Results Found", it likely is not on the list and cannot be guaranteed to be stable or fully compatible.

ADDED: From there, you should probably explore what is supported that will work for you.

Also, CPU thermals sound okay, but what about the GPU?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I didn't narrow down the exact list. Gotta get specific with your board's complete model, but here are some different versions I found...

https://www.asus.com/us/searchresult?searchType=products&searchKey=Asus Strix Z690-A&page=1

Click the one you have. When that page loads, you'll see line to upper right that says "Features - Tech Specs - Awards - Gallery  - Where To Buy - Support".

Click "Support". When THAT page loads, click "CPU / Memory Support" tab. From there you'll have options for processors, RAM speeds, timings, etc. But there will also be a search bar in which you can type your RAM's SKU / part # to seek it out specifically. If it returns "No Results Found", it likely is not on the list and cannot be guaranteed to be stable or fully compatible.

my ram is the CMH32GX4M4E3200C16W. Looks like it doesn't show up on the search bar... might have to take it to microcenter or something to double check and diagnose the problem

1 minute ago, SneakySquid9 said:

my ram is the CMH32GX4M4E3200C16W. Looks like it doesn't show up on the search bar... might have to take it to microcenter or something to double check and diagnose the problem

Be aware that my BL16G32C16U4B.16FE tested fine in the 5900X that was on crack because of it. It also made a 3600X / ASRock B450M-HDV test bed act strangely. One failed almost immediately and would not post, the other started developing adio and video cutout with gaming, but not when playing MP4s. The second DIMM failed today, and I replaced them with another Ballistix kit that WAS on the ASRock's QVL. I have Patriot Viper 4 Blackout waiting for the 5900X's Asus board -- if the case I plan to swap it to ever gets here... Beach Audio could screw up a one-car funeral.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!