Is the stock cooler on i3-12100 enough?

Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
11 hours ago, HawkEye1998 said:

@DoctorNick聽could you help me out? These are the hwinfo64 stats after about 3 hours of playing valorant. Is this acceptable?

It's perfectly fine! You don't need another cooler 馃檪

I recently bought a i3-12100 paired with an RTX 2060. I have been using the stock cooler and haven't faced any performance issues yet. My cpu and gpu temp is about 50-55 degree celsius on idle and reaches up to 76-79 degree celsius while gaming. Is this okay or should I get a Deepcool Ak400 cpu cooler? If this is ok then I would use the money to get a headphone and a mouse instead.

9 minutes ago, HawkEye1998 said:

I recently bought a i3-12100 paired with an RTX 2060. I have been using the stock cooler and haven't faced any performance issues yet. My cpu and gpu temp is about 50-55 degree celsius on idle and reaches up to 76-79 degree celsius while gaming. Is this okay or should I get a Deepcool Ak400 cpu cooler? If this is ok then I would use the money to get a headphone and a mouse instead.

It's fine for that CPU. You can test with HWinfo64, at startup mark: run sensors only, and then run it while gaming and let it run for a few hours or how long you are gaming. Then check after. HWinfo64 will report throttling with red text. You could get the聽Deepcool Ak400, just checked it, great value/performance.

Example:

Why would Hwinfo64 show thermal throttling when CPU temps are under 90?  (Fusion 15) : r/XMG_gg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D |聽Motherboard: Gigabyte B550聽Elite V2 |聽RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz |聽PSU:聽EVGA SuperNova聽750 G3 |聽Monitor:聽LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 |聽
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT |聽Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K |聽Case:聽Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage:聽MP510聽960gb and 860 Evo 500gb |聽Cooling:聽CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.聽

@HawkEye1998聽stock cooler for 12100 is good enough to cool it without the human element in mix. As soon as you add yourself, whether or not you can continue using it will depend on whether you can tolerate the noise it makes (most can't if the PC is too close to the ears).

@Dogzilla07聽I was worried about the noise too. Specially after seeing countless youtubers saying stock coolers r very noisy. However my stock cooler doesn't make any noise whatsoever. You couldn't even tell there is a computer running without seeing with your eyes.

1 hour ago, HawkEye1998 said:

Specially after seeing countless youtubers saying stock coolers r very noisy. However my stock cooler doesn't make any noise whatsoever. You couldn't even tell there is a computer running without seeing with your eyes.

Lucky you, your PC is far enough (or under the table), or u have a full metal side panel. + not sensitive hearing.

13 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

It's fine for that CPU. You can test with HWinfo64, at startup mark: run sensors only, and then run it while gaming and let it run for a few hours or how long you are gaming. Then check after. HWinfo64 will report throttling with red text. You could get the聽Deepcool Ak400, just checked it, great value/performance.

Example:

Why would Hwinfo64 show thermal throttling when CPU temps are under 90?  (Fusion 15) : r/XMG_gg

@DoctorNick聽could you help me out? These are the hwinfo64 stats after about 3 hours of playing valorant. Is this acceptable?image.png.a6cb078709bb873b62d7b46a5db106ad.png

11 hours ago, HawkEye1998 said:

@DoctorNick聽could you help me out? These are the hwinfo64 stats after about 3 hours of playing valorant. Is this acceptable?

It's perfectly fine! You don't need another cooler 馃檪

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D |聽Motherboard: Gigabyte B550聽Elite V2 |聽RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz |聽PSU:聽EVGA SuperNova聽750 G3 |聽Monitor:聽LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 |聽
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT |聽Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K |聽Case:聽Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage:聽MP510聽960gb and 860 Evo 500gb |聽Cooling:聽CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.聽

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:25 PM, HawkEye1998 said:

@Dogzilla07聽I was worried about the noise too. Specially after seeing countless youtubers saying stock coolers r very noisy. However my stock cooler doesn't make any noise whatsoever. You couldn't even tell there is a computer running without seeing with your eyes.

What kind of case are you using? With holes in the top and in the front or a more closed one? I ask because I'm interested in this cpu (and its cooler) as well.

On 2/24/2024 at 12:44 PM, manyones said:

What kind of case are you using? With holes in the top and in the front or a more closed one? I ask because I'm interested in this cpu (and its cooler) as well.

You shall not revive the threads of the past.

FS in Denmark/EU: