Case with dust filters or not?

matjohncampbell
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

I don't see a reason to rule out cases with easily removed dust filters.

You can always just run without the filters if you're that concerned they'll affect airflow. (Keeping dust out is worth it, in my opinion.)

Hi all,

I am in the process of researching components and parts and I can't seem to resolve an issue regarding my ideal case.

I have 2 cases in mind - the Lian Li Lancool 3 and the Fractal Meshify 2. My main problem when deciding which case to choose is "do I need a case with dust filters on the intake fans like the Fractal or a case without dust filters like the Lian Li?"

I know this issue has been discussed a little on LTT but I'm looking to hear from people with dust filters as to how they perform re thermals, how easy they are to clean, whether you have just taken them out and anything else you can think of. I understand that there I will have to compromise slightly with CPU and GPU temps as the filters will impede airflow but that is a compromise I am willing to make as when I was using my build before (circa 2010) I had a massive problem with dust buildup and cleaning.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I don't see a reason to rule out cases with easily removed dust filters.

You can always just run without the filters if you're that concerned they'll affect airflow. (Keeping dust out is worth it, in my opinion.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

You already said you had a problem with dust so get the case with filters. Just realize you will still have to clean the filters, and it's not perfect. Dust will get inside to some degree, and dust will collect on the outside of the filters, being sort of an eye sore. 

Myself personally, I pull every filter out, and run without. I don't want any restrictions. I can deal with cleaning the case every so often. Done this to every case for years. Don't see it as a big deal.

I'll be honest I've used cases with dust filters for ages and if I should have them or not is never something I've ever bothered to think about, its just not a factor that's of any importance in deciding on a case. Of course they're better than not having them. 

You clean them by pulling them off/out and dusting/vacuuming/running them under water, whichever works better for you. 

What makes it really easy is a case with an easily accessible dust filter. The Inwin 101 for example, uses a large single dust filter that slides right out the side which makes cleaning super convenient.  Bottom intake for ease of use.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Personally I'm running "Yee-old" CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P with it's mesh front panel on.
It's on table and it does collect dust fair bit over time. Dust covers are good to have for convenience sake, but they aren't deal killer still. Some dust will over time still get inside of the case so you'll most likely still have to clean it eventually. I'd say it comes down to preference and personal need, if the case has them it's always +. If it doesn't, it's not a deal breaker.

Better to have dust filters and not need them than need them and not have them imo. Talking out of my ass but I'd put my money that filter vs no filter makes very little difference as far as thermals go. 

Mine came with one decent filter. Bought a kit to cover every hole on the case. Dont use them in exhaust spots but overall temps are the least of my concern when picking a case. As im not putting top tier equipment in a $30 case. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thanks everyone, you've answered my question spot on. Seems the general consensus is to have them just in case. Better to need them and have them than to not have them and need them.

Looks like I'm going for the Fractal Meshify 2 😀

Seperate dust filters + a mesh front are a big no-no, ancient history. Combined meshfilter is the way to go.