What would you change about this rig?

Budget (including currency): around 1800 CHF (Swiss Franc) (rather a bit lower, but willing to spend more money if a feasible upgrade can be made)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CS:GO, MS Flight Simulator, Sim Racing, Minor Adobe Creative Cloud use, Assassins Creed (General AAA Games), Video Recording, A bit of Emulation, Programming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So my Computer recently died and it was a really old computer so anything will be an upgrade really. I currently have two 1440p Monitors, one running at 240hz, the other at 60. For CS:GO I would like to reach over the 240fps, the other games should be a bit higher than playable (above 70fps, I know that the GPU is older, but maybe I can upgrade in the future). I don't need any peripherals 'cause I have them from my old rig. I want to buy this PC as soon as possible because I have been getting in the F1 mood so I want to play the game again. I do want to buy a custom fanatec wheel sometimes in the future, but because of the price I will have to save some money up for that. But I already have a decent driving setup, so I would be an upgrade. As I said, I have an old rig and I can recycle some of the parts as followed:

• GPU
  • SATA SSD
  • SATA HDD
  • Network Card
  • PSU (*)

These Items can be of course be ignored in the total price of the components.

* The PSU in my current rig is a bequiet! 100-240Vac 900W PSU, so the Watts should be no problem. I just don't exactly know which PSU this exactly is or how efficient it is since I was not the one that built it. So maybe Upgrading to a new PSU could be worth it?

The link for the components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/C0RR1T_/saved/kKg4pg

PS: I know that the Price listed in PCPartpicker is lower than my budget. My current budget is how much the current NEW components cost together in a specific online shop. I am ordering the parts from a online shop in Switzerland, which has higher prices, but I always get my stuff from there, so yk...

Thanks alot in advance & Nice holidays if you have any (you lucky bastard :D)

2 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

The pcpartpicker link is private 

Oh, sorry, thats quite embarrassing. I hope it works now?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($312.96 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY XLR8 CS3030 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($153.27 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Red Dragon OC Video Card  ($669.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($10.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $1616.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-03 15:41 EDT-0400

The 5900rpm HDD is quite slow, but if you just use it as a datagrave it's fine... I use a 5400rpm one and it even works with the GeForce replay Funktion.

And you need more than a 1080 to get stable 240fps in 1440p for that I guess you need something like a 3070ti or Rx 6800XT maybe even more...

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

The 5900rpm HDD is quite slow, but if you just use it as a datagrave it's fine... I use a 5400rpm one and it even works with the GeForce replay Funktion.

And you need more than a 1080 to get stable 240fps in 1440p for that I guess you need something like a 3070ti or Rx 6800XT maybe even more...

Hey, thanks for your comment! Tbh I just threw in a random hdd for the build just to test if everything would work, I already have one, and yes, it is intended as a datagrave. For CS:GO Im currently running a lower res + 4:3 so I think this shouldn't be an issue. But I can see that the GPU will eventually reach End of life, but I can wait on the new 4000 RTX series.

8 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($312.96 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY XLR8 CS3030 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($153.27 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Red Dragon OC Video Card  ($669.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($10.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $1616.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-03 15:41 EDT-0400

Hello! Thank you very much for your suggestions. But I do have some concerns:

As I said, the video card / GPU I already have, so no worries about this.

I would like to have DDR5 since I would like to have a stable platform in the near future, and I think DDR4 is reaching end of life soon.

Im not too sure about having a single fan in my case since I had thermo issues with my previous computer, so I would like to be rather safe than sorry.

The CPU cooler I can look into, If you guys think that a water cooler is overkill / not necessary. I just think such a CPU cooler is making it difficult to reach parts, but then I have no experience with PC building...

9 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

Oh, sorry, thats quite embarrassing. I hope it works now?

Mhm it's working now lol.

About what id recommend 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gmBhv3

The 12700f is a good cpu that should be enough for your Adobe usage.

I wouldn't reccommend to oc on 12th gen since you don't gain the most benefit with it

Cheaper aio that's a good performer. Id reccommend to get a large air tower cooler instead like ak620, but I do get the appeal of aios.

Good b660 for the price

Cheapest kit of 32gb ram

4tb storage since that should he enough? I'd say to just get a 2tb one though.

If you want to push some Frames at 1440p gaming, I'd reccommend to get a better gpu like the 6800 non xt. It's a solid gpu for the resolution you'd be playing at and I'd say a gpu upgrade might be warranted lol.

Usually for psus id replace them when they are no longer covered by warranty,  so depending on the model of it and its age, I'd replace it. 

14 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Mhm it's working now lol.

About what id recommend 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gmBhv3

The 12700f is a good cpu that should be enough for your Adobe usage.

I wouldn't reccommend to oc on 12th gen since you don't gain the most benefit with it

Cheaper aio that's a good performer. Id reccommend to get a large air tower cooler instead like ak620, but I do get the appeal of aios.

Good b660 for the price

Cheapest kit of 32gb ram

4tb storage since that should he enough? I'd say to just get a 2tb one though.

If you want to push some Frames at 1440p gaming, I'd reccommend to get a better gpu like the 6800 non xt. It's a solid gpu for the resolution you'd be playing at and I'd say a gpu upgrade might be warranted lol.

Usually for psus id replace them when they are no longer covered by warranty,  so depending on the model of it and its age, I'd replace it. 

Hey! Thanks too you aswell for this great list. I think I will downgrade the aio to what you said :). But If I could add some things:

As a csgo "tryhard", Im not quite sure If I want to "downgrade" the CPU since the game is cpu intensive. Also, I think for debugging / if the gpu dies the integrated graphics could be helpful, but then again Im just a noob.

For the Motherboard + RAM I think DDR5 could be beneficial because I think it would help me alot with programming and maybe adobe stuff. Also, I think DDR4 is going to die out and I think switching to the new platform with DDR5 + PCiE 5.0 could be good for future upgrades.

The SATA SSD I already have in my old computer, so these 4tb are "free". I added the samsung m.2 ssd because I know that SATA isn't the fastest and I wouldn't mind faster load times :D.

I think for the PSU im going to replace it, you made a really good point.

Again, thanks for your awesome list!

edit: and for the gpu I think I'll wait for the RTX 4000 series and stick with the 1080 until then, and maybe then it would make sense to choose a 1000W / 1200W power supply since there are alot of rumors of rtx 4000 being a power hog

Edited by C0RR1T_
gpu

7 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

As a csgo "tryhard", Im not quite sure If I want to "downgrade" the CPU since the game is cpu intensive. Also, I think for debugging / if the gpu dies the integrated graphics could be helpful, but then again Im just a noob.

It's not so much a downgrade, it's more of a change. The effective difference of 100mhz between the 12700f and 12700k is negligible and since oc dosent net a lot of benefit on 12th gen, I wouldn't bother with it 

You can get the igpu if you want, it's more of a cost saving measure

9 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

For the Motherboard + RAM I think DDR5 could be beneficial because I think it would help me alot with programming and maybe adobe stuff. Also, I think DDR4 is going to die out and I think switching to the new platform with DDR5 + PCiE 5.0 could be good for future upgrades.

There's still a lot of problems with ddr5 and 12th gen since alder lakes memory controller is pretty bad. Iirc the max rated speed officially is ddr5 4800 and anything past is considered a overclock. Even with the unlocked cpus vccsa voltages, it's still mostly a hit or miss if the cpu can handle those speeds without going into gear 2.

I'd only consider ddr5 if intel can fix their memory controller and if ram manufacturers can lower their prices on ddr5. Otherwise, I'd stick with ddr4

16 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

The SATA SSD I already have in my old computer, so these 4tb are "free". I added the samsung m.2 ssd because I know that SATA isn't the fastest and I wouldn't mind faster load times :D.

Mm, then you can disregard my 4tb m.2 suggestion lol

16 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

edit: and for the gpu I think I'll wait for the RTX 4000 series and stick with the 1080 until then

Fair enough on this, but release Date afaik isn't official and I'm still not the most sure about the new psu connection requirements that they will supposedly have 

4 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

It's not so much a downgrade, it's more of a change. The effective difference of 100mhz between the 12700f and 12700k is negligible and since oc dosent net a lot of benefit on 12th gen, I wouldn't bother with it

Hm ok, I just thought it was a major downgrade since the difference in base clock is 1.2 ghz, but Im quite sure im going with the KF/F variant anyway.

There's still a lot of problems with ddr5 and 12th gen since alder lakes memory controller is pretty bad. Iirc the max rated speed officially is ddr5 4800 and anything past is considered a overclock. Even with the unlocked cpus vccsa voltages, it's still mostly a hit or miss if the cpu can handle those speeds without going into gear 2.

I'd only consider ddr5 if intel can fix their memory controller and if ram manufacturers can lower their prices on ddr5. Otherwise, I'd stick with ddr4

Thats actually suprise for me! Thanks for saving me on this because I thought ddr5 is a save bet. But maybe then I should wait on the new raptorlakes / zen4s? What would you do?

Thanks again for clearing up some things!

13 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

Hm ok, I just thought it was a major downgrade since the difference in base clock is 1.2 ghz, but Im quite sure im going with the KF/F variant anyway.

I think you're looking at the core clock which is the minimum that the cpu should work at. 12th gen has the ability to boost up to its max rated speeds i.e 4.9/ 5 given adequate cooling which both the Arctic freezer 360 and ak620 would allow.

15 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

Thats actually suprise for me! Thanks for saving me on this because I thought ddr5 is a save bet. But maybe then I should wait on the new raptorlakes / zen4s? What would you do?

It's a pretty safe buy right now since 13th gen is apparently coming out early next year, so it's mostly up to you on whether waiting would be a decent performance gain, but I'd be satisfied if I bought now 

2 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I think you're looking at the core clock which is the minimum that the cpu should work at. 12th gen has the ability to boost up to its max rated speeds i.e 4.9/ 5 given adequate cooling which both the Arctic freezer 360 and ak620 would allow.

It's a pretty safe buy right now since 13th gen is apparently coming out early next year, so it's mostly up to you on whether waiting would be a decent performance gain, but I'd be satisfied if I bought now 

Ok, thanks alot! Could you maybe give me some tips on some case fans, RGB doesn't matter to me. I know Noctua make really good fans but they're expensive as hell. What are some good alternatives?

7 minutes ago, C0RR1T_ said:

Ok, thanks alot! Could you maybe give me some tips on some case fans, RGB doesn't matter to me. I know Noctua make really good fans but they're expensive as hell. What are some good alternatives?

Arctics p12 fans are usually always cheap and are very good performers for the price! 

15 hours ago, C0RR1T_ said:

Hello! Thank you very much for your suggestions. But I do have some concerns:

As I said, the video card / GPU I already have, so no worries about this.

I would like to have DDR5 since I would like to have a stable platform in the near future, and I think DDR4 is reaching end of life soon.

Im not too sure about having a single fan in my case since I had thermo issues with my previous computer, so I would like to be rather safe than sorry.

The CPU cooler I can look into, If you guys think that a water cooler is overkill / not necessary. I just think such a CPU cooler is making it difficult to reach parts, but then I have no experience with PC building...

You were wasting half of the budget on quite meaningless things like ddr5 and oc board. GTX 1080 is very slow if you compare to 6800XT/3080 in those other games you listed, those offer almost a 100% bump up in fps.