Raspberry Pi Software Projects

piggykid1

I think there is a thread somewhere on here with a bunch of ideas.  I just bought my 2nd raspberry_pi.  I use them as Plex clients (the pi runs on Rasplex distro).  Rasplex is totally free of course.

The rasplex client is nice, but it's got a long way to go. If you have an enormous library like me it took ages to load the movies section, and then there was lag from all the images. Plus I couldn't pre-cache a shared library.

Raspmc w/ the plexbmx add on worked better, but not by much.

Plex on the pi just isn't where it needs to be IMO. The Raspmc front end is pretty nice though. I velcro'd a pi to the back of my TV and powered it with the USB port on my tv, added a USB remote and that was it. The pi turns on with the tv and off when it's off.

As for ideas on what to do...it's endless possibilities.

I'm currently in the process of using the pi for a carputer. I'm working on it as a project for school, but we bought an ODB2-> USB cable to get data from the car cpu. Things like efficiency, octane ratings, electric load, torque, DTC codes. Anything you can think of.

We're also adding a Bluetooth dongle to the pi, and one of the other members of my group is designing an android app to work as the frontend, so any android device can communicate with the car CPU. Another member is creating the Bluetooth stack/profile so that communication is possible.

We're also hooking up the pi to the car audio system through the aux in to play alert tones and music.

We're also trying to add a USB powered verizon 3G modem so that the entire car has wifi, and we're also trying to set up some sort of ad-hoc storage for uploading MP3's

Everything's done on raspbian.

I've also seen people use the Pi for a low power ASIC btc mining rig, home server w/ attached storage...anything Linux can do, so can the pi