Old 360 mods

Berinejo

Should I get a ssd and repaste to add storage and better Temps? It isn't used all that often and I just want to help it last longer.

Redoing the thermal paste will help your console last longer. As for the ssd you should consult the 360 hacks subreddit for help, I have seen a couple of posts about changing the drive and they have a pretty good wiki too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/360hacks/

The only issue with storage is you're limited to a maximum of 500GB so the only benefit would be the decrease in load times for games installed to the SSD.

On 7/31/2022 at 2:12 PM, SprinkledDount said:

Redoing the thermal paste will help your console last longer. As for the ssd you should consult the 360 hacks subreddit for help, I have seen a couple of posts about changing the drive and they have a pretty good wiki too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/360hacks/

On 8/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, demonix00 said:

The only issue with storage is you're limited to a maximum of 500GB so the only benefit would be the decrease in load times for games installed to the SSD.

Ok thanks, I didn't know about the storage limits, I'll check out the subreddit for help

Any gains you'd have from running an SSD are negated by the slow interface, really. So it'd be a mod just for fun. But reapplying paste is always a good idea on these older consoles, especially onces with so many cooling issues as a 360.

• 1 month later...

Be careful if you plan on reapplying thermal paste... The old thermal paste will be absolutely crusty and it will be difficult to remove the heatsink. The old 360 had a problem with the soldering under the gpu so any harsh movements or jimmying around in there could brick your system. 

On 9/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, ZROCK said:

Be careful if you plan on reapplying thermal paste... The old thermal paste will be absolutely crusty and it will be difficult to remove the heatsink. The old 360 had a problem with the soldering under the gpu so any harsh movements or jimmying around in there could brick your system. 

Ok, idk with my newer model if they fixed it, but yeah it would be crusty dusty and musty inside of the 360

23 hours ago, Berinejo said:

Ok, idk with my newer model if they fixed it, but yeah it would be crusty dusty and musty inside of the 360

indeed indeed

• 2 weeks later...

General Protip: if you decide to repaste an older model (manufactured before 2008 or so) and the gpu or cpu weren't made in Korea (says on the etching on the IHS) it's a strong likelihood the console will red ring no matter what.