Second Noctua NA-HC7 arrived scratched, should I just accept what I've got?

AndrewHamOp

Hello again fellow PC enthusiasts, Andrew here.

So as I said in my last post I am going to be revamping my dad's old Digital Storm pre-built in a few weeks time. I want this old Maximus VII Impact + i7 4790k combo to last until I can afford new hardware.

I wanted to go all out on the poor old machine, because it's been neglected and not maintained very well for nearly 7 years. I figured I should grab a new case and a new cooler so that at the very least I can carry those forward when I do eventually build a new machine. And what legendary company do you go to when you don't want to do water cooling and don't care about RGB? Noctua, of course!

I'll get straight to the point, I wanted to grab an NH-U12A chromex.black for my build and I had a little bit of extra budget that would have been worthless spent on a slightly fancier case. So I went looking for Noctua accessories and with minimal searching I found the NA-HC7. Basically it's a cosmetic cover for the finstack and heat pipes on your cooler that attaches with magnets and clips.

"Great!" I thought. "This PC is actually going to look respectable for the first time since it rolled off the assembly line." Well fast forward a week and a half and I got my hands on the first few parts including the NA-HC7. I opened the box and pulled the cover out, only to discover that the right side of the cover was quite scratched up. I was annoyed but not really angry, since of course these things do happen in the mass scale that most things are manufactured in nowadays.

So naturally I contacted Amazon and asked for an exchange, I have yet to send the old one back but I received the new one today and it has similar scratching on the same side of the cover. Should I try for a third, or should I cut my losses and go with the one that's less scratched up? I know this may seem like a non-issue, and I mean it probably is but for goodness sakes this is a $20 aluminum U with colorful inserts. Is it too much to ask Amazon to not scratch these things up before they send them to me? Neither of the covers arrived with any sort of seal on the box.

I can provide better images if requested. The one with the white insert is the first one, and the blue is the second.

20220719_152106.jpg

20220726_102127.jpg

20220726_102438.jpg

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

Oh yikes I just realized how bad those pictures are.

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

7 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Just keep whichever you like and sell the other at a discount then play some GAMES! 

what he said

22 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Just keep whichever you like and sell the other at a discount then play some GAMES! 

I would totally do that but unfortunately I have to return the other one. I guess I didn't really make that clear, I submitted the refund for the white one in order to get the blue one. (The colors are swappable obviously)

That being said, yeah you're probably right. The scratching on the blue one really isn't that bad, and actually I think it did improve a little bit when I hit it with a toothbrush and some alcohol. Somewhat frustrating but oh well, it'll be black against a black cooler in a white case so I doubt I'll notice it.

Well you aren’t making a show case. And if you were, you’d be painting it anyway. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well you aren’t making a show case. And if you were, you’d be painting it anyway. 

Fair enough, but it shouldn't arrive scratched nonetheless. And I mean maybe I want my system to look good, when you've been running an Old Dell XPS system for 6 years you tend to want to have a good looking computer if you're buying new parts.

8 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

Fair enough, but it shouldn't arrive scratched nonetheless. And I mean maybe I want my system to look good, when you've been running an Old Dell XPS system for 6 years you tend to want to have a good looking computer if you're buying new parts.

Well keep returning them until its right. Assuming they are actually scratched like you claim.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 7/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mick Naughty said:

Well keep returning them until its right. Assuming they are actually scratched like you claim.

They are actually scratched, otherwise why would I be making this post? 

Anyway I think I'm just gonna stick with the blue one, since the scratching on that one probably won't be visible through the side panel. Still sucks though...

42 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

They are actually scratched, otherwise why would I be making this post? 

Anyway I think I'm just gonna stick with the blue one, since the scratching on that one probably won't be visible through the side panel. Still sucks though...

I'm just going off the pictures. I can't se any scratching. Just chaffing from the packaging and handling.

23 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I'm just going off the pictures. I can't se any scratching. Just chaffing from the packaging and handling.

Ah fair enough, the pictures are pretty terrible.

I could probably remove the scratching with some polishing but I don't know how thick the paint is on these so I'll probably just leave it alone. It almost looks like a defect in the paint rather than actual scratching, I'm not sure.