5.25" drive worked for a brief glorious moment...

SimplyChunk

Yeah, so the 5.25" drive I got and set up.  Did work.  I was able to insert a disk and read it.  Even played some battle chess off the disk as pictured hereIMG-20220709-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.f3f883d11b4c207d7a565a55366141a2.jpeg

After I lost the game I had to force close it to get back to the XP desktop.  I inserted another 5.25" disk.  This labelled Golf.  And it was making a scraping noise and came up with "This disk is not formatted would you like to format". I said no and thought ok dodgy disk.  But I inserted the chess disk again and it's saying the same thing " This disk is not formatted would you like to format ".  Any thoughts?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Scraping noise?
Open it up, lubricate the rails, clean the heads. 

Yeah I will.  Funnily enough after another restart the chess disk is working again.  I can play the game off it and copy the files.  I'm gonna wipe the disk now I have the files to test the write capabilities of it.  Just gonna format and copy same files on it see what happens.  The sound sounds like the head touching the disk maybe?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

3 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Yeah I will.  Funnily enough after another restart the chess disk is working again.  I can play the game off it and copy the files.  I'm gonna wipe the disk now I have the files to test the write capabilities of it.  Just gonna format and copy same files on it see what happens.  The sound sounds like the head touching the disk maybe?

Head should lightly touch the disk AFAIK, shouldn't scrape though.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Head should lightly touch the disk AFAIK, shouldn't scrape though.

yeah defo sounds like somthing touching the disk as it spins.  might be nothing yet.  I think i'm happy for what was paid though.  it was the cheapest one with at least some guarantee it would work after all.  looks like i'm hunting youtube tonight for a disasembly and cleaning guide.  3.5" works a treat though just had Street Rod running of a disk.  It formats and everything.  which is something the 5.25" isn't doing at the moment

With that scraping, I'm surprised it didn't dig a big ol' trench in that disk, leaving it unusable. I would give it a good cleaning and lube before I used it anymore. 

Also, what machine are you running it on? I would love to find one of these that I can adapt to run off a USB dongle.

1 hour ago, Rusty Proto said:

With that scraping, I'm surprised it didn't dig a big ol' trench in that disk, leaving it unusable. I would give it a good cleaning and lube before I used it anymore. 

Also, what machine are you running it on? I would love to find one of these that I can adapt to run off a USB dongle.

It's an asrock conroe945G-DVI motherboard

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/ConRoe945G-DVI/

With an Presler Pentium D running at 2.8GHz

Aah. From back when motherboards still had floppy controllers. ^.^