Do I try for a 3000 series?

Buffalufacus

Looking at the EVGA sale for GPU/PSU, currently have a i9 9900k and 2060 with a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Should I go for the 3070 or just YOLO and do the upgrade to the 3080 for a $180 difference. I'm wondering if it worth it to just wait it out to something like a 5000 series and just do a whole new build at that point with intel 14th gen/Ryzen whatever number they'll be on? I know that's a little down the road, but I'm wondering if price to performance may take a huge hit with current world events. Should a 9900k and 3080 keep me rolling longer even with the bottleneck or will patience pay off?  I feel like if I had gotten a 3080 a year ago, there wouldn't be any regrets, but getting one now finally back at MSRP with the 4000 series dropping in the next 6 months (albeit probably not available for normal consumers like me for 12+ months...) feels bad?  Is this one of those situations where I should just put that money aside and do a full over haul, or make myself happy now...lol.

Thanks for the help!

Like you said, 4000 series probably won't be easily buyable for a while after launch. And said launch is still a while out. The 3080 is a damn solid upgrade from a 2060 now, unless you're running into CPU bottlenecks (9900K should be fine for a bit yet, especially if OCed) you should be good for a while. There's almost always something faster coming out in the next 6-12 months when people get around to upgrading anyways. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3080 is definitely the choice but I'd wait until the 4000 series comes out because the prices are only going to go down from here, especially when the 4000 series is announced and we know the prices. 

What Mayday and Zando said. Me three. 🤣

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

From your post it seems you're not actually needing an upgrade but just want one. Then I would wait. but that's me personally.

The real question is: what is the performance difference between what you have now and a 3080 (and between the 3070 and 3080) worth for you atm? In other words: what is the amount of money you would be comfortable with losing by not waiting? The GPU prices will realistically NOT go down to half when the new series drop. So let's say you buy a 3080 right now and assuming it will drop 300$ down the line: are you willing to spend a 300$ premium just to have the upgrade right now instead of later? That's the question you have to ask yourself.