Point to Point Questions from a newbie

Tombjz
Go to solution Solved by JogerJ,

1. Any switch will do, set both antennaes to bridge mode

2. No, just connect directly like a router in the same network

3. Powerbeam AC probably yes, idk about Airfiber but there's max power usage in the spec sheets

Hello.

I'm thinking on sending WIfi signal using point to point antennas for about 3km / 1.90miles (sort of), so, after reading a bit and a few videos, I think Ubiquiti powerbeam AC or Airfiber is the way to go because i want to transfer at least 200 Mbs.

So, i have Three questions.

First 

Can i use any switch/Router brand to connect the antennas or do i need to use Ubiquiti only?

Second

If i get a ubiquiti switch like the 16 port Lite, do i need to buy the cloud key to manage the network of the slave antenna?

Third

Is that Ubiquiti 16 ports /POE /45 W enough to power a Powerbeam AC or the Airfiber?

Thanks in advance

3. Powerbeam AC probably yes, idk about Airfiber but there's max power usage in the spec sheets

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

1 minute ago, JogerJ said:

Thanks for your answer. 

For Number 2: Would i be able to manage the network, like a standalone Router without the cloud key?

3 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

For Number 2: Would i be able to manage the network, like a standalone Router without the cloud key?

In bridge mode you can think of the 2 antennaes as just another access point/switch in the network. Anything connected from each end can access other devices attached on the other end and vice versa. 

example:

gateway router (192.168.1.1) -- powerbeam AC (192.168.1.251) -- powerbeam AC (192.168.1.252) -- router accesspoint (192.168.1.2) -- PC (192.168.1.101)

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄