PC restarting

cbuds

Hi! So my pc just restarted randomly out of nowhere, all my parts are about a month old. The only thing I haven't changed is the case, any reason? I also checked event viewer and just found a kernel power 41 error. I don't know if it has anything to do with what happened. 

specs are:
i5-10400 

Kingston Fury Beast 16gb (8gb x2) 
msi b560m 
evga 500br 

38 minutes ago, cbuds said:

Hi! So my pc just restarted randomly out of nowhere, all my parts are about a month old. The only thing I haven't changed is the case, any reason? I also checked event viewer and just found a kernel power 41 error. I don't know if it has anything to do with what happened. 

specs are:
i5-10400 

msi b560m 
evga 500br 

I have had kernel 41 errors in the past and it wasn't anything but software related. I would suggest updating bios and checking if your ME firmware is up to date.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, cbuds said:

specs are:
i5-10400 

msi b560m 
evga 500br 

Random Windows update? It likes to mess with you like that 🙂

You could monitor temps just to be cautious, if it happens again in a short period I'd then maybe start asking.

Just to reassure you, CPU's since a while back have proc hot protections built in. All that means is once it hits a close to unsafe temp it will shut down. You could use the likes of Openhardware monitor, OCCT, etc. They have a Proc Hot section such as the screenie. It's different for each mobo and each software where it shows so I can't give you a step by step tbh.

prochot.PNG

10 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

Random Windows update? It likes to mess with you like that 🙂

You could monitor temps just to be cautious, if it happens again in a short period I'd then maybe start asking.

Just to reassure you, CPU's since a while back have proc hot protections built in. All that means is once it hits a close to unsafe temp it will shut down. You could use the likes of Openhardware monitor, OCCT, etc. They have a Proc Hot section such as the screenie. It's different for each mobo and each software where it shows so I can't give you a step by step tbh.

prochot.PNG

I noticed my temps on startup being about 10c hotter than normal so probably got something to do with that. 

Just now, cbuds said:

I noticed my temps on startup being about 10c hotter than normal so probably got something to do with that. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

I have had kernel 41 errors in the past and it wasn't anything but software related. I would suggest updating bios and checking if your ME firmware is up to date.

DoctorNick makes a good point.

Unless it's a frequent occurrence I wouldn't worry too much.

The monitoring software I mentioned is more for peace of mind for yourself. On startup a PC does alot of work and fan profiles these days tend not to kick-in until needed - it's to give you a quiet system and only start cooling when really needed.

See how things goes, if it's happening every feww days or so I'd come back here and check in chap.

28 minutes ago, Ephinum said:

DoctorNick makes a good point.

Unless it's a frequent occurrence I wouldn't worry too much.

The monitoring software I mentioned is more for peace of mind for yourself. On startup a PC does alot of work and fan profiles these days tend not to kick-in until needed - it's to give you a quiet system and only start cooling when really needed.

See how things goes, if it's happening every feww days or so I'd come back here and check in chap.

yea was the first time it happened so I was worried to the core! Anyways thanks for the help mate! And everyone else 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, cbuds said:

yea was the first time it happened so I was worried to the core! Anyways thanks for the help mate! And everyone else 

just a few days later now, happened again. Was just doing some flying when it suddenly restarted on me, I have no clue whats going on. 

just checked event viewer again, kernel 41 error 

alright, just updated to the latest bios, hopefully it fixes it