Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU upgrade = performance drop?

so recently i have built a new rig and i ended up giving my friend the old one. it had an i5 7400 & GTX 1060 (3gb) in it when i gave it to him in which it was running great for him. then i figured i would help him out a little more with a slight future proof and gave him a GTX 1660 Ti and a 240mm AIO. of course the temps dropped but the performance is horrid. he can't seem to play anything more then terraria without heavy stutter. i'm genuinly so lost at this point and he's messaging every other day with understandable frustrations but i have the rona and can't go diagnose in person so it's becoming increasingly more frustrating for myself. PLEASE HELP!? (neither GPU are OC'd fyi)

3 minutes ago, FalkyraXD said:

so recently i have built a new rig and i ended up giving my friend the old one. it had an i5 7400 & GTX 1060 (3gb) in it when i gave it to him in which it was running great for him. then i figured i would help him out a little more with a slight future proof and gave him a GTX 1660 Ti and a 240mm AIO. of course the temps dropped but the performance is horrid. he can't seem to play anything more then terraria without heavy stutter. i'm genuinly so lost at this point and he's messaging every other day with understandable frustrations but i have the rona and can't go diagnose in person so it's becoming increasingly more frustrating for myself. PLEASE HELP!? (neither GPU are OC'd fyi)

What's the PC full spec.

Have you tried uninstalling the driver using DDU, then reinstall it (without using or from GeForce Experience)

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

What's the PC full spec.

Have you tried uninstalling the driver using DDU, then reinstall it (without using or from GeForce Experience)

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but only from geforce experience

PC spec 
i5 7400, MSI Ventus x2 1660ti, can't remember the board exctly but a small ITX board and (2x8gb) 16gb Xpower RAM clocked at 2400 i believe, 750w 80+ gold PSU

Be sure the drivers for the 1060 are completely uninstalled. Also check to ensure Vertical synchronization or other image stabilization isn't enabled. These cut FPS for low-refresh monitors, but can cut FPS when not needed. Also, being disabled on lower refresh monitors will have pretty much the same effect.

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 minutes ago, FalkyraXD said:

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but only from geforce experience

PC spec 
i5 7400, MSI Ventus x2 1660ti, can't remember the board exctly but a small ITX board and (2x8gb) 16gb Xpower RAM clocked at 2400 i believe, 750w 80+ gold PSU

Well, download DDU, download the latest driver for that card.
Uninstall using DDU, then reinstall from the driver you've downloaded.

Also check on what @An0maly_76 said above.

Refresh before you reply

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Be sure the drivers for the 1060 are completely uninstalled. Also check to ensure Vertical synchronization or other image stabilization isn't enabled. These cut FPS for low-refresh monitors, but can cut FPS when not needed. Also, being disabled on lower refresh monitors will have pretty much the same effect.

v sync is only turned on periodically to test differences and no this is not the issue at all. attempting to get him to go through the uninstall now. even though it's been stated multiple times from various trusted sources before that i'm still going from a GTX card to another GTX card and should not have the requirement to do so as i never did when i did my transfer even all the way up to the 3070ti i have now in my rig so why does he have to just to even work. shall keep you posted 

10 minutes ago, FalkyraXD said:

v sync is only turned on periodically to test differences and no this is not the issue at all. attempting to get him to go through the uninstall now. even though it's been stated multiple times from various trusted sources before that i'm still going from a GTX card to another GTX card and should not have the requirement to do so as i never did when i did my transfer even all the way up to the 3070ti i have now in my rig so why does he have to just to even work. shall keep you posted 

Because sometimes shit happens, especially when installing driver through a software.
And especially since right now we're doing a double over the internet troubleshooting.
It's not a hard thing to try anyway.

Also, i don't know how savvy your friend is about PC, but you made sure he plugged it in the top most PCIE slot, and the display cable to the GPU instead of motherboard right ?
(Just making sure of things)

Refresh before you reply

Just now, Poinkachu said:

Because sometimes shit happens, especially when installing driver through a software.
And especially since right now we're doing a double over the internet troubleshooting.
It's not a hard thing to try anyway.

Also, i don't know how savvy your friend is about PC, but you made sure he plugged it in the top most PCIE slot right ?
(Just making sure of things)

doing a double? 

not the most savvy which is why i've been the one taking hours in travel back and forth doing all the upgrades and installs myself

13 minutes ago, FalkyraXD said:

doing a double? 

not the most savvy which is why i've been the one taking hours in travel back and forth doing all the upgrades and installs myself

Well, you said you can't go there by yourself to diagnose & see.
Us and you are over the internet, you and him/her is over the phone / internet.
Double over-the-internet.

Basically, I'm just making sure of stuffs. Just in case your friend is not the most savvy (which turns out true from what you said)
Also trying to help troubleshoot starting from the easiest to do.
note : edited my previous reply.

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, you said you can't go there by yourself to diagnose & see.
Us and you are over the internet, you and him/her is over the phone / internet.
Double over-the-internet.

Basically, I'm just making sure of stuffs. Just in case your friend is the most savvy (which turns out true from what you said)
Also trying to help troubleshoot starting from the easiest to do.
note : edited my previous reply.

oh yup i get you now thanks. i don't think i'll be hearing from him again today to be honestly as this has gone on for months now of back and forth so he's probably not willing to have to go through troubleshooting today. just got offline on discord so please keep and eye out here for in the near future

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FalkyraXD said:

even though it's been stated multiple times from various trusted sources before that i'm still going from a GTX card to another GTX card and should not have the requirement to do so as i never did when i did my transfer even all the way up to the 3070ti i have now in my rig so why does he have to just to even work. shall keep you posted 

By rights, my MSI B450M Bazooka board in my previous rig should not have shut down because it was turning up its nose at the GTX1650S-4GB-OC I was installing, giving a VGA light, when it still booted with its original GT1030. And by rights, it shouldn't have shut down and refused to power up at all, requiring an RMA that took 45 days, but as @Poinkachu pointed out, shit happens. I've heard of some boards (usually with prebuilts) having "crippled" BIOS with limited device support. I've also seen older boards with limited PCIe device support due to space constraints in BIOS chips requiring that certain things deemed obsolete or no longer necessary being stripped to make room for compatibility with newer components.

I always say, check the simple stuff first...

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!